Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine lowsided his 696 and broke the bolt off that attaches the kickstand to the engine case, so it needs to be replaced.. he owns the bike, no warranty and does not want to claim it on his insurance so we decided to tackle it ourselves (read, I will be fixing it for him, in exchange for unlimited beer).
How difficult is this to do?
My Ducati wrenching experience: I have a 900ss and a 916 that I have done all the maintenance on so far. Desmoquattro valve adjustments, belt changes, and anything that comes up in between. I haven't split a case yet, is it doable in a garage with the proper tools? I plan on getting a haynes manual (really helps on the 900, not so much on the 916).

·
Registered
858 Posts
No experience with the 696 but based upon a 900 its pretty straight forward BUT whether or not that is your best solution is debatable. If you replace a case you will need to re-shim the gears and crank. It would be simpler to just weld up broken boss on the crankcase and re-tap it (you don't even have to pull the engine). Just make sure the welder is very good and minimizes heat transfer (that's the hard part).

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would expect a good tig welder could grind off a flat spot and weld on another thread portion to match the 10mm X 25mm bolt.

My wife's 696 sheared off almost flush with the case, but there is still enough threads to catch a longer bolt. This not the main bolt, but anchors the sidestand so it doesn't move around. It will stand on the single bolt left in the frame.

I would think you could drain the oil and remove gas tank, then lay the bike on its right side and tig weld up a new piece. If you mess it up beyond fixing, THEN replace the case.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So you would need to drop the engine and split it open? I do all the simple maintenance like you, valves belts oil brakes etc...that doesn't even compare, huge headache and hours in the horizon I'd think. I personally would not do it.

And probably requires more -expensive- tools for one time use?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tools arnt an issue, even if i do have to acquire some special ones the cost will be picked up by the bike owner. I just don't trust a weld repair for this fix, when the bike hit the ground it broke out all the threads and the resulting hole extended all the way into the engine. Now there is a dime size hole in the case and a couple cracks extending from the hole. shimming the gears in the case isnt really an issue, if i can re shim the valves on a 916 i think i can handle the gears in a 696. My concern is that the weld repair fails and opens up the hole again, since im fixing this for a friend, I dont want to take a chance of it breaking in the same spot.

·
Registered
954 Posts
There is - on the 900's anyways - a third hole you can use to attach a triangular 1/4" plate with holes to cover all three bolt holes...

With the plate behind the kickstand it will now be possible to reattach it bolting through all three holes - the plate will support the broken bolthole. :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Went out and took another look. Welding is probably a bad idea, pretty tight in that area.

Another choice might be to jbweld up the hole if you have one, then fab a plate to extend out from the bottom bolt of the footpeg brace with a threaded hole to place the bolt for the kickstand.

Ours has vibrated out twice and lost it, even with red loctite, just not enough threads left to catch good. So I may be going down this road in the future, my wife loves this bike so it will most likely be around for a while.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This bike only has 2 bolts holding the kickstand on, one directly to the case (the hole that broke) and one attaching the kickstand to the spar that holds the rear sets and passenger pegs. On the 696, the front and rear bolts that hold the kickstand on are different lengths, the front is shorter and the rear is longer. What confuses me is that the hole for the front bolt is more than deep enough for a much longer bolt witch would result in a stronger assembly.

We have already picked up a new engine case and are currently pulling the engine out of the frame. We will disassemble the engine as far as we are comfortable and take it to the local ducati shop to have reassembled with the new case.

I just don't trust JB weld to hold this, and since I couldn't find a welder who sounded confident that he could do the job properly, we decided to replace the case...

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
We have already picked up a new engine case and are currently pulling the engine out of the frame. We will disassemble the engine as far as we are comfortable and take it to the local ducati shop to have reassembled with the new case.

This is the correct answer....^

Reshimming crank/gearbox was a big PITA on the old Bevel, I can only assume it isn't any easier on the rubber band engines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts