Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've almost worn out the orginal tires on the multi and will need new rubber this week. (4,000 miles)

The dealer recommends the michelin Pilot Road 3s.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
There are so many. What do you want out of the new set?

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Unless you're dragging your knee, the PR3's are about as good as you can get. Of course almost any major brand makes a great tire.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Listen to Turkish express.
You will get many opinions but the more information you give about what you want out of them, how you ride, weights carried, 1 or 2 up, luggage, do you ride dirt roads........The more useful the opinions will be.

I have 26,000 kms and I chose the original Scorpions.
My first set lasted 16,000km and had one rear puncture in that time. I love the handling and grip in wet, dry and on dirt roads. They are expensive but very light. They may puncture more easily than other tyres as the carcass is very thin but the one puncture I had was a screw that would have gone through my Range Rover's tyre, so maybe not. I can certainly keep up with fast guys on sports bikes in the Yarra valley Ranges.

BUT
I commute 200kms a day at 100km/hr almost all the way.
I ride 99.9% of the time solo.
95% of the time commuting with no weigh.
3% touring with luggage but light weight.
2% sport fanging in the hills with no load at all.

Psychologically (happy to admit that), I want to keep the ability to easily ride on dirt roads. I almost never do this but once in a blue moon I will ride dirt roads or even in snow. For this reason I "bend" away from pure road tyres and the Scorps work for me. Any road tyre will handle the gravel and dirt roads I ride but you have to be much more careful and a spill is more likely.

So, my choice may be very bad advice for you if you take your bike to track days and are a weekend warrior canyon runner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point. I don't ride off road. I have a 40 minute freeway ride to the twisties. I have good curves in the North Georgia mountains and like to ride fairly fast.

Durability and street performance are the key drivers.

Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm a big fan of the PR 3's. I have them on both of my bikes. For me they offer a great balance between performance and durability.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
760 Posts
I'm a big fan of the PR 3's. I have them on both of my bikes. For me they offer a great balance between performance and durability.
"Durability"??? On my first set (used to run PR2's), the rear is down to the wear bars at 5k miles. Granted that it has been hot as hell here, there is a fair amount of chip seal here in Colorado, and I do run at triple digits for extended periods of time (gotta love western Colorado), but still, I would not say they are long lived. Great stick leaned over in the twisties, and this afternoon I drove through about an hour of a frog strangler on interstate and they felt very planted on curves and changing lanes. I'll stick w/ them for the future, but if you are going on a long trip, I would pick something else or arrange to change tires en route.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Listen to Turkish express.
You will get many opinions but the more information you give about what you want out of them, how you ride, weights carried, 1 or 2 up, luggage, do you ride dirt roads........The more useful the opinions will be.

I have 26,000 kms and I chose the original Scorpions.
My first set lasted 16,000km and had one rear puncture in that time. I love the handling and grip in wet, dry and on dirt roads. They are expensive but very light. They may puncture more easily than other tyres as the carcass is very thin but the one puncture I had was a screw that would have gone through my Range Rover's tyre, so maybe not. I can certainly keep up with fast guys on sports bikes in the Yarra valley Ranges.

BUT
I commute 200kms a day at 100km/hr almost all the way.
I ride 99.9% of the time solo.
95% of the time commuting with no weigh.
3% touring with luggage but light weight.
2% sport fanging in the hills with no load at all.

Psychologically (happy to admit that), I want to keep the ability to easily ride on dirt roads. I almost never do this but once in a blue moon I will ride dirt roads or even in snow. For this reason I "bend" away from pure road tyres and the Scorps work for me. Any road tyre will handle the gravel and dirt roads I ride but you have to be much more careful and a spill is more likely.

So, my choice may be very bad advice for you if you take your bike to track days and are a weekend warrior canyon runner.
What? 200 ks p/d. Horsham to Melbourne? Barking mad mate.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
MJW61,
Melbourne to Horsham is 300km one way.
I commute Melbourne to Geelong and then I come home. Total is 200km per day. Apart from the math, you are right. Still barking mad and I hope to stop this soon.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Good point. I don't ride off road. I have a 40 minute freeway ride to the twisties. I have good curves in the North Georgia mountains and like to ride fairly fast.

Durability and street performance are the key drivers.

Thanks
We ride in the same area. I'm on my second set of Metz M5. Excellent sporting tire, good in the rain and acceptable durability. Pilot Pures (Mich) are also a good choice. Both of these are "kneedraggin" capable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Piece of usless info!!,I'm a Dunlop Road Smart man,they dont wear as well as Mich 03's but turn a billion times better,but the punch line,you can only get a French made RS 190 in a 50,at the moment,you can get a 55 but it's only spec'd for the VFR1200 and is Japanese made.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Piece of usless info!!,I'm a Dunlop Road Smart man,they dont wear as well as Mich 03's but turn a billion times better,but the punch line,you can only get a French made RS 190 in a 50,at the moment,you can get a 55 but it's only spec'd for the VFR1200 and is Japanese made.
What, on a scale of 1-10, is the "useful index" of this post if you aren't going to be more specific about your tire comparison claims? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really rate Metzeler Z8s. Can't say about durability but so far the grip and speed of turn in they offer is astounding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What, on a scale of 1-10, is the "useful index" of this post if you aren't going to be more specific about your tire comparison claims? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Having suffered 3 years in the bike trade!!!,you'd be amazed at the so called experienced bikers who don't know the difference between a 50 and a 55 and what they are like to ride on.

You can get a 190 55 Mich Road 03, you only get a French made Dunlop Road Smart in a 50(at the moment) there's a big difference when it comes to riding a bike,I'd bet good money there are folks having tyres fitted and don't even ask.

As for 'usefull index' if you want wear, buy the Mich Road 03's,but if your after a tyre that moves just thinking about it it's a Road Smart and slightly less wear,go to any tyre dealer ask to compare the carcass,they are a world away from each other,even though their direct competitors.

Here in the Uk above two have carved the sport touring market up between them.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Having suffered 3 years in the bike trade!!!,you'd be amazed at the so called experienced bikers who don't know the difference between a 50 and a 55 and what they are like to ride on.

You can get a 190 55 Mich Road 03, you only get a French made Dunlop Road Smart in a 50(at the moment) there's a big difference when it comes to riding a bike,I'd bet good money there are folks having tyres fitted and don't even ask.

As for 'usefull index' if you want wear, buy the Mich Road 03's,but if your after a tyre that moves just thinking about it it's a Road Smart and slightly less wear,go to any tyre dealer ask to compare the carcass,they are a world away from each other,even though their direct competitors.

Chris

Mind giving me a brief description and your opinion on the difference?

I've been happy with Conti Road Attacks in the 190/50 size. Been through two sets and plan on buying a third.

Thanks

Dan

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
You can get a 190 55 Mich Road 03, you only get a French made Dunlop Road Smart in a 50(at the moment) there's a big difference when it comes to riding a bike.

so , does that mean that half of your bretheren are dopes ?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Rich, get the Diablo Rosso 2s and send in for a Carlos Checa autographed hat. Getpirelli.com

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I would suggest either going with Dunlops or Michelins for the price. Watch some of the reviews on Youtube and go from there... I personally run the Q2s and like them and don't mind changing them out every couple of thousand miles. If the Michelin Power Ones were priced a bit more reasonable I would probably go with those instead. But that's just me and I like the stickiness. If you're looking for more mileage the PR3s would probably suit you better. Michelins are usually a little shorter in profile then their competitors but tend to also be lighter = less rotational mass. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Chris

Mind giving me a brief description and your opinion on the difference?

I've been happy with Conti Road Attacks in the 190/50 size. Been through two sets and plan on buying a third.

Thanks

Dan
Without going into a long drawn out reply,I had a pair(of only two) of road 02's released to the general public the end of 06,they didn't even go on press release till feb 07.
It was the re-invention of the tyre,dual compound!! well in actual fact triple because it's compound 1 and 2 on the front and 2 and 3 on the back,the 03 is just another angle as a newer model,they wear incredibly well and with 20 miles into them to warm up grip like a sports tyre.

Fast forward 18 months and Dunlops Road Smart,I get a phone call want to try e'm,too be honest I expected an 02 rip off instead got a completely diffrent tyre,I don't think they wear as well as an 02/03 but when you have done a few miles on the Michs going to a Dunlop RS is a major culture shock they drop into a corner way quicker than the Mich does,not everyone will like that,I do and I'm prepared to trade the wear factor for the way they drop into a corner,in fact prefer the RS to the Sport Smart which has soft walls just like the Mich even though one is a sport tyre and the other a Sport/tour.

It's what ever floats your boat.

The reason for my first posting,I know on another website of a guy who was saying his Mich Road 03's turned much better than his Road Smarts,when I asked about spec the Mich was a 55 the RS a 50,no wonder it turned better!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts