Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Going to go ahead and swap the Pirelli OEM tires that came on the S. The previous owner sissy striped the rear, so it's a mess back there at speed.

I've read a lot of the different threads about people's opinions on the tires. There seem to be a few favorite replacement options and some advocate sticking with the Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs.

This is what I think I'm after:
1) have to have something that works decently enough in the wet because it rains here a lot at least a couple of times a week
2) will do 90% of my riding on the street but...
3) want something that can handle the odd track day well enough too

Based on what I've read in the threads, I've narrowed it down to:
1) Michelin Pilot Power / Pilot Power 2CT / or Pilot Road 2CT
2) Bridgestone 003s
3) Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs

What's your vote?

thanks a lot,

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I love my Pilot Powers. I have them on my Hyper and DR-Z400SM. Second set on the SM and second rear on the Hyper. Great tires. I haven't tried any of the others because I'm so happy with the PPs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ran Pilot Road 2cts on my z1000 they are a great street tyre (i got 17,500km out of my last rear) but I wouldn't use them on the track.

I think anything with dual compundf these days will be good.

How many kms are peeps getting out of the pirellis??

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd go for Pirelli Diablo Rossos-- they last (at least) 2x longer than the Corsa IIIs (currently at 7,000km with only about 1qtr tread wear; bike used daily), so even likely to be as long as the Pilot Roads, which are damn good road tyres.

However, have taken the Rossos out on to Phillip Island for SBS, and they rock, so it's my pick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
done...well, almost

Thanks, guys...for the advice. After a slippery moment last night on one of the few twisty roads here, I decided to get down and get em replaced asap.

Got a good deal on a set of Pilot Power 2CVs. Will get them scrubbed in for a few days and then i'll post my two cents.

Although, the local boys at the tire dealer don't seem to have got the front mounted back on straight because i'm getting some groans and feedback through the forks at low speed. Ugghhh....please don't take your local Stateside mechanics for granted! Buy them a steak or something and let them know how much you appreciate their competence.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I want to try the dunlops now after using the slicks, way better profile and lean angle. I'd get the dot versions that they use for racing. profile is amaising

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
tyres

just fitted Pilot Road 2cts 180x55 rear f**ken magic

you can throw the bike around corners rides uneven road fantastic

easy to tos from side to side
so far very impressive
shanetbird

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A friend of mine is riding a Z1000 and got a Pilot Road 2.
He did about 12.000 km this summer, and serioulsy, that god damn tire still looks almost new !
The only negative comments he has about it is :
*/ Little long to warm up
*/ Not good for someone going to more than 1 day day a year.

It's gonna be my next one for the Hyper, no doubt.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OT a little here, but has anyone tried the Dunlop D616's. Most of my riding is dry, not-too-fast, medium-agressive Sunday blasts on the mostly crappy and gravel-strewn road surfaces around these parts. I'd like something with a little more "aggressive" tread. Plus, the D616's make the Hyper look so rugged!

Cycle World's Brian Catterson had 'em on his long-term Hyper and seemed to like them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sticky, sticky, sticky

guys,

even though the slow speed grinding issue on the front end is driving me nuts, just a quick update on the Power 2CVs: they are awesomely good....like fly paper. they've increased my confidence in the bike by about a factor of 10.

went for an early morning bombing run up and down one of our few twisty roads here (Mt Faber Park Loop) and it was amazing the transformation over the admittedly tired Pirelli OEM tires. In fact, I'm going to have to work on the front and rear shock settings tomorrow because the significantly increased grip from these tires, especially on the front end, is causing me to work the front fork A LOT harder.

big time fun. don't know how long they're gonna last at this rate, but i can highly recommend them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
OT a little here, but has anyone tried the Dunlop D616's. Most of my riding is dry, not-too-fast, medium-agressive Sunday blasts on the mostly crappy and gravel-strewn road surfaces around these parts. I'd like something with a little more "aggressive" tread. Plus, the D616's make the Hyper look so rugged!
QUOTE]

Anyone? I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have been running PP 2CTs for several years and like them. I just bought a set of the new Dunlop Sportmax Q2s to put on the Hyper. I will let you know how they are after a few rides. If they are not good on the Hyper it will be back to the PP 2CTs as they have served me well.

Out!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been running PP 2CTs for several years and like them. I just bought a set of the new Dunlop Sportmax Q2s to put on the Hyper. I will let you know how they are after a few rides. If they are not good on the Hyper it will be back to the PP 2CTs as they have served me well.

Out!
Thanks, Axe. Will be interested to see how they work for you on the Hyper. I was actually going to take a chance and go with the Q2s over the PP 2CTs based on all of the rave reviews on other sites and in print, but they haven't trickled their way down to Singapore just yet.

I "settled" for the PP 2CTs and have to say I'm very happy I did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts