Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son In Law just picked up an 07 sport classic and the dealer just received the replacement tank as the original swelled due to the alcohol in the gas here in New England. Is the replacement tank designed not to swell? Does he have to have the tank treated to prevent the same problem?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Do some searching. One of the stickies on the sport classic forum covers this

Bottom line, nothing has changed. Highly likely the new one will swell. Come aug 2013 you will then have to pay out of pocket.

Recommend you have a qualified shop to a proper Caswell coating on that new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
A swell tank.

Put the new tank in storage, never fuel it.

Purchase a new metal tank and use your bike until you sell it and let the person wanting to buy that you have a new tank that goes with the bike.

Unless you use aviation fuel or certified NO alcohol fuel, the replacement tank is useless.

I will never buy a plastic tanked DUC.

Good Luck

·
Registered
245 Posts
"Recommend you have a qualified shop to a proper Caswell coating on that new tank."

+1 - the Caswell coating seems to be the best resolution for those unable to avoid ethanol-laced fuels, like us, without buying & painting a trick (and costly) aluminum tank.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Obviously the aluminum tank is the best choice. But I figure an aluminum tank painted to match perfectly stock is probably in the neighborhood of like $2500+ out the door. You can find stock tanks in perfect condition for like $1k or a bit more if you go to a dealer. Many people have caswell coated properly and had many years without any spreading of any kind. Until an aluminum tank can be had out the door for like the $1500 range, it's just too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's a luxury that a lot of people don't have available to them. On top of that, there's no guarantee those fuel stations are actually using pure gas. You're at the mercy of their word. So, you're at the mercy of geographic location and Bubba's word.

OP, get the virgin replacement tank coated and store it in the basement till either the original tank warps beyond use (or becomes dangerous) or you prepare to sell it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can't keep the old tank. The dealer keeps it and they drill holes in it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a luxury that a lot of people don't have available to them. On top of that, there's no guarantee those fuel stations are actually using pure gas. You're at the mercy of their word. So, you're at the mercy of geographic location and Bubba's word.

OP, get the virgin replacement tank coated and store it in the basement till either the original tank warps beyond use (or becomes dangerous) or you prepare to sell it.
You can tell non-ethanol gas by its color and smell. There is non-ethanol gas available almost everywhere in the USA. All you have to do is look. Gas stations near marinas, race tracks and rural-farm-agricultural areas are good places to look first. If it is a few miles away from home, just fill up a couple of gas cans to keep at home.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You can tell non-ethanol gas by its color and smell. There is non-ethanol gas available almost everywhere in the USA. All you have to do is look. Gas stations near marinas, race tracks and rural-farm-agricultural areas are good places to look first. If it is a few miles away from home, just fill up a couple of gas cans to keep at home.
And never ride farther than a half tank from home?

·
Registered
399 Posts
And never ride farther than a half tank from home?
I was really pleased to find a station w/non-ethanol super not far from my home. I think more damage is done by letting the bike sit in the garage w/E10 in the tank than is done by running a tank through on the road. I've got around 10 bikes, and most have had water collect in the carbs that had settled out of E10. I try to arrive home from a ride w/the tank near-empty, and then fill up w/non-ethanol fuel at the end of the ride. I keep a pair of 5-gallon cans of the good fuel on hand just for this. It lets me worry a little less about what's happening to the bike between rides. Of course I didn't start this routine until after the tank on my GT had been ruined...twice. Big rub there. I did not know it was the ethanol that had damaged the tank, and I had not yet discovered this forum. Dealer (MotoCorsa) said "Oh, your tank is loose. We can fix that under warranty". No willingness on their part to discuss why the tank had spread, or whether the new tank was in any way different, or what steps I could take to keep it from happening again. And they had to know. They just plopped on a new tank and w/in a few months it did the same thing. What a waste that was.Oh, now I'm getting all irritated again. I've gotta stop looking at the threads on this topic now that it's too late. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is non-ethanol gas available almost everywhere in the USA. All you have to do is look. Gas stations near marinas, race tracks and rural-farm-agricultural areas are good places to look first. If it is a few miles away from home, just fill up a couple of gas cans to keep at home.
Ive been reading lately that some people have used marina fuel or aviation fuel if ethanol free fuel is not available as Parkerfe said. Also maybe someone can tell me is " TruFuel " ok to put in your tank for winter storage?

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Test The fuel that they say is NON ETHANOL

PUT a little water about an inch in a mason jar and make a mark with a sharpie so you know what that level was.. Fill the jar nearly full with the non ethanol fuel. Then put on the cap and shake it up. If the water level stays the same as the mark that you applied, your ethanol free.

If the water line is now higher after say 15 minutes, your getting screwed and it is ethanol fuel. Report the station to the local motor fuel autorities

·
Registered
431 Posts
While the bike is down for winter, save yourself some hassle and ship your tank to jcpakbikes for the coating. They do excellent work and have the longest warranty. Lifetime. Save money from useless bling and get the coating.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Star Tron, Sea Foam they all help, but go on Pure Gas site for non ethanol or got to an airport for AVGas
DO NOT USE AVGAS!! 100LL is leaded and your bike is neither tuned for 100 octane leaded gas, nor will it do your catalytics or O2 sensors any good if you have the stock pipes on.

Doing this to thwart tank spreading is just plain dumb and asking for problems.

Geoff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts