Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Replacement sprocket ST3

2414 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  L2Bike
I have seen a number of posts advocating going to a 42 tooth sprocket on the rear. If I do this, do I need to change the chain as well? Pros and cons of this mod? Any recommendations on the best source for a replacement sprocket?chain?
Thanks, Jack.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
4,013 Posts
Accoring to the MY2004 user manual on pg.90, the ST3 has 15/42; same as my ST2.

If you're new to Ducati, you should just leave it in a lower gear. I don't use 6th unless I'm above 65 MPH. I find that when I'm on a zesty ride, usually on the highway, and shifting to make traffic shrink in my rear view mirrors, I often find myself looking for a 7th gear. So I don't think that 15/42 is all that bad.

As a rule of thumb, don't use the engine below 3500 rpm, this or lower is usually lugging the engine, unless you're going down a hill, dn just maintaining a certain speed.......it's much happier around 4K. I betcha this is why a lot of the ST3's shake their horns off.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.