Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been posted before, but search is turning up nothing.

Has anyone found a source for key fob case replacement? Guts and key are still intact, but the case is beat to hell.

Parts fiche only shows the whole assembly with transponder @ $184.

I've seen the CNC cases all over online, but they only cover the edges, so no help.

TIA

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sure this has been posted before, but search is turning up nothing.

Has anyone found a source for key fob case replacement? Guts and key are still intact, but the case is beat to hell.

Parts fiche only shows the whole assembly with transponder @ $184.

I've seen the CNC cases all over online, but they only cover the edges, so no help.

TIA
I doubt they just sell the case, but if they did, it would probably cost $174.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought Steve W. had a good idea, so I sent SOS an email.

They said they had one original key that was faulty and would sell the case + cut the key for $95.

I figured by the time I insured and mailed my key, etc. it wouldn't be much less than a new and fully working one from the dealer. Not to mention the thought of my key getting lost in the mail.

If anyone else is interested, go for it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the opposite problem, key blade broke off in pannier. I was able to extract it, but now I just use the spare red key to open luggage. Dealer confused me said the whole key comes blank, not cut. So then you have to outsource cutting of key blade(and have dealer program fob)?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the opposite problem, key blade broke off in pannier. I was able to extract it, but now I just use the spare red key to open luggage. Dealer confused me said the whole key comes blank, not cut. So then you have to outsource cutting of key blade(and have dealer program fob)?
I'm not sure that's correct, I'm pretty sure the dealer has to order the key based on the VIN? I don't think anyone does laser cutting of keys in the aftermarket? (definitely not where I live, anyway)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure that's correct, I'm pretty sure the dealer has to order the key based on the VIN? I don't think anyone does laser cutting of keys in the aftermarket? (definitely not where I live, anyway)
There are a number of places online that sell the blanks, as well as cut them. The downside is that you have to mail your key to them if you want them to cut the new blank. From posts here and other forums it seems many locksmith shops are able to cut them, as well. Looking at my VW key, it's not very different from my Duc key. I can't imagine a local locksmith would be unable to cut a Duc key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts