Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fairings are crap and they seem to be falling apart in a new way every day... I've been shopping and don't want to spend what the dealer wants, and some of the aftermarkets I've found claim "some customization necessary." Well if possible I would like to avoid this... I've also come to know and love every cure of the unique styling and would hate to lose one curve or one port, or anything really. Does anyone with my bike know an aftermarket source with these qualities or a good place to check for Ducs being parted out? I don't mind painting but I don't want to have to modify plastic for the right look or fit. Pre-thanks!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Fairings - aftermarket

I am in the throes of getting new fairings made as mine are cracked, scratched and melted down where the pipes are near the lower fairing.

This guy is repairing mine enough to make molds, then will make kevlar copies for me. My problem is that the lower fairing is so heat stuffed I need to find someone near where I live with good ones to loan to make the mold. Apparently kevlar will be stronger and easier to repair if the need arises. He also said he would probably use carbon in the area where the pipes are close to the lower fairing. Hopefully this base work will be done in a couple of weeks and after that it is just a case of ordering which bits you need.

Aftermarket - some work. Some I have seen are molds off stock fairings, but holes for bolts and air slots have not be drilled/cut out. Not for our bikes, but i have heard of fairings that have been molded from accident damaged bikes and the distortion from the accident has been replicated in the new ones.

How much did the dealer want?

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Winter Make Over

Well here in the states up in the northern part with 4 months of the white stuff on the ground I'll be repainting my bike. Looking at taking some classes @ the local CC to add with the project it will give me things to do during the wait for summer.
Make sure you put up some pic's step by step.......:D

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
White stuff!

4 days not riding all year round and I get edgy.

Ducatis were certainly not around when they penned "the land of the free"!

You guys must have very shiny bikes. I also guess that is why battery tenders sell so well over there.

Maybe there should be an American Ducati anthem.

Oh, say! can you see by the dawn's early light
There's s*%tloads of snow, so we'll be polishing - alright!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much did the dealer want?
I don't remember the exact numbers but when he told me on the phone I didn't even write the info down I just scoffed and laughed and politely said thanks and a quick goodbye... I think it was to the tune of around $3000-$4000 (USD) for a whole set from Ducati Seattle.

Here's some of the websites I've been shopping:
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/ducati/900SS1999-04.htm

I can't find the other two in my history right now, but I'll post when I find them again...

Let me know how the mold you're having made go, I like to explore cost and availability for here in the states...

I bought my baby after she'd been tipped in a cargo trailer by her previous owner... Cracked the upper by the windscreen and the rear seat cowl has a chip... The previous owner gave me a red set of upper front cowls that he bought in the box... So have those replacements, just need them painted, and the rear seat cowls would be e pretty easy touch-up job. Both the upper and lower pieces of the fairings on both sides are starting to bother me! Out of the four total tabs connecting either side on the very bottom, I have two left, and probably not for long... On the left side at the connection point near the gear selector, the well for the bolt has completely broken off of the fairing, and I'm holding it on down there with an oversized washer (Surprisingly you can't actually tell that much). On the right side from vibrations and maybe from the previous drop (although they didn't used to show) there are spider cracks around mounting bolt locations...

Anyway at this point I'm considering just single piece per side fairings, maybe in fiberglass and the rest I think I have handled, but I won't paint what I have until I get all the pieces...

Thanks for the input...

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Replacement fairings in Oz

The guy doing mine is doing a bit of a special price for me as he is using mine for molds.

My guess is that unpainted a full set will be around AUD$1,200, so about a grand US$. I am waiting for confirmation.

Apparently he is a carbon wiz, so once we can get decent molds, CF will also be available. Another dude i know is getting CF for his 1198, but not sure where that is up to as yet.

I will keep you posted, but don't hold your breath, as he is thorough, but slow!

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are 2 guys i know of in australia that do them. Wet4u racing and Handcraft. They will set you back about $1000AU for a full set of race glass. Its about the same for their road glass. These come as whole kits. front uppers and lowers, seat sections and windscreen and fastners. I think postage to the US would kill the price, but if there are some aussies here, might be ok to look into. I am trying to get a company in NZ to get their finger out and send me a quote, but due to their lack of getting back to me, my faith in this company is waining. I dont think i want to give someone money in NZ if they cant even send me an e-mail :)

Cheers!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Why does it seem so hard?

Pegaxs,

I am aware of WET4U, but was not about Handcraft - will check it out.

From what I saw/read WET4U was race/track stuff did not have the headlight cutout and the belly was enclosed to contain 3 litres of fluids, as per Oz race requirements.

I am seeking high quality blanks that are at least as good as the Duc stuff. I.e. I do not want to compromise all the other effort that has gone into my bike.

I don't know why it seems so hard to get someone to make this stuff. The guy who has my fairings, now 5 or 6 weeks, is not the best communicator, but is supposed to be very good. I guess it might soon come down to putting damaged fairings back on, as opposed to not having the best aftermarket fairings at all. I.e. is a bad beer better than no beer?

I just want some decent fairings! It can't be that hard can it?

I bet your NZ mob might complain that they are not making money etc. Perhaps if they pulled their finger out and actually answered or supplied goods, there may be a chance that they could make some money! Unfortunately many of us have mishaps with our bikes, so there is a reasonable market. My research on part numbers indicates that the fairings are common from 98 750SS/900SS through to the 800/1000SS range - that is a lot of bikes.

Patience is wearing thin and whilst i do not mind my naked SS, I have a serious ride to Philip Island MotoGP coming up, I'd rather have the bike looking like it should.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you checked eBay? There's usually body bits on there.

Punch- Have you considered wrapping your lower pipes? And I'm with you on going through riding withdrawls. Luckily I live in a region that gets close to nill for snow fall, and if we do it's melted by morning.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Why are you making this so difficult? The Sharkskinz SS fairings are great, but there are a few changes from stock:
- Two main parts versus five (fewer fasteners improve the looks)
- I think you can specify Dzus fasteners for quick removal
- The front turn signal depressions have been deleted
- The indented "mouth" line in the sides has been deleted
- They are lighter than stock

These fit and look good. You should find these for less than $1000 a set, new and primed.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Looks great - problem is I am in Australia

They look superb and would not hesitate if I was in the US.

I will be getting rid of the indicator cavities as well.

Why are you making this so difficult? The Sharkskinz SS fairings are great, but there are a few changes from stock:
- Two main parts versus five (fewer fasteners improve the looks)
- I think you can specify Dzus fasteners for quick removal
- The front turn signal depressions have been deleted
- The indented "mouth" line in the sides has been deleted
- They are lighter than stock

These fit and look good. You should find these for less than $1000 a set, new and primed.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Packaging, "damage" and expense

I order "hard bits" from the US, but would be cautious about relatively fragile fairings.

I looked at the Handcraft pic of a red fairing - there are extra bolts, one hole is cut right out instead of being a slot in the lower fairing and I can see a raised section of the decals from when they took the mold. I.e. it was not sanded back to flat before painting.

So parts can't get shipped from Florida to Oz?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If its the handcraft photos, yes they were molds made straight off the originals. If they are the same photos i have looked at, yes, there are 4 Dzus clips on the lower fairing, yes that section is cut out but no, its not painted in red, its done in a red gel coat. This is they layer of crap they put down on the mold so the part can be pulled out. He does them in a red gel coat because some guys didnt want to paint the fairings before they went racing and it looks better than the white gel coat we are all used to seeing on fiberglass panels.

Anyway, i was only offering alternatives on where to buy aftermarket in Australia. If you are that anal about a cut out in the fairing and 4 Dzus clips instead of 3 screws you wont like the wet4u racing ones either, they are the same. You might be better looking for a wrecker or on ebay for the genuine items.

If i find any more supliers, i'll get back to you all. I am always looking for replacement fairing parts for my race bike.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Handcraft/Wet4U

Hey Pegaxs, i really appreciate the leads.

Given the mods I have done, i am not anal, but there are some things that I would just keep seeing that would annoy me. This is why I modded my tail section many times until I was happy. Minor detail, but that's just me. Same with mates non-Ducs, some things annoy the crap out of me and I offer to help them mod.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For my quick reference, do you have a site address? And are the Sharkskinz modeled after the factory? Same curves and ports? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts