Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out here! I had to replace the rear brake line on my 1999 900SS. I drained the system, replaced the line, torqued down the banjo bolts to spec, and now I'm trying to fill it with new brake fluid and bleed the air out.

I've run over a quart of fluid through it and I *still* can't get the air out. I've got a hand pump and a pneumatic bleeder, and try as I may it's still not purged of air.

Any ideas? This is the first time I've replaced a brake line a bike, but I've bled brakes on my car plenty of times. I didn't think it should be this much of a hassle!

Thanks,
A77

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,264 Posts
Try unbolting the caliper from the mount and have a helper hold it above the level of the rear master cylinder with the bleeder screw facing upwards then bleed the caliper out.

My RC51 uses an under-slung Brembo rear brake caliper just like the ones used on Ducati's and that's the only way I can get it to bleed out. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that did it guys! I tried both suggestions - when I cracked the banjo bolt on the master air bubbles escaped so I worked that until it was bubble free. Then, raising up the rear caliper I compressed the piston and pulled fluid through with the pneumatic bleeder. Rear brake pedal is nice and stiff now!

Thanks so much, I was at that for hours! ;)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I've had the best luck with an EZ Bleeder. It's a syringe like tool with a rubber stopper like attachment that will fit over the bleeder, crack valve, get fluid out of MC resovoir and push fluid up till it's full and usually good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I think that did it guys! I tried both suggestions - when I cracked the banjo bolt on the master air bubbles escaped so I worked that until it was bubble free. Then, raising up the rear caliper I compressed the piston and pulled fluid through with the pneumatic bleeder. Rear brake pedal is nice and stiff now!

Thanks so much, I was at that for hours! ;)
"Make sure you have some play " you don't want you pads to ride on the disc!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts