Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently tried a different identical ECU (59M) in my bike (off a basically identical bike). Before I tried starting it I disabled the immobiliser (I'm pretty sure).

When I try to start it, the fuel pump primes, the bike turns over, however it only seems to fire every 3rd or 4th revolution so doesn't start. I pulled a spark plug and I can see I'm only getting spark on every 3rd or 4th rev so at this stage I suspect it is an ignition issue.

So I then went ahead and closely compared the BIN from the new ECU and the BIN off my original ECU and found they had a different offset/layout so I had to use a different XDF for each BIN, which wasn't particularly surprising. But I found that all the maps and legends were basically identical on each BIN.

Next I tried the BIN off the original ECU on the new ECU and the bike runs fine, however the fan doesn't come on while riding. And also I have noticed the bike has cut out a few times just for a moment while going slow speed at low revs.

Questions:
Why would the bike not run on the BIN from the new ECU? Could this be a trigger issue (I highly doubt it as these ECUs are off identical bikes)? Or could it be the immobiliser (surely it wouldn't be firing at all and perhaps not turning over if the immobiliser was active)

Why would the fan not be coming on?

What should I try next?

I have attached BINs and XDFs

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is back on the original ECU with the immobiliser disabled for now. However it is still cutting out, I did about 250km yesterday and it cut out twice on the return leg of the trip. Both times at WOT. The first time it gave two very brief lurches where it just cut out for a few revolutions and then completely died for a good 10+ seconds. It then fired back into life just as I was coming to a stop.
When it is cut out there is no sign of backfiring etc. Just completely dead like it lost both fuel and spark at the same time.
The second time it just cut out for a second or less as I was passing.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the next step would be to change to a 5AM ECU and if that doesnt help then I'll look at rewiring most/all of the bike.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
The bike is back on the original ECU with the immobiliser disabled for now. However it is still cutting out, I did about 250km yesterday and it cut out twice on the return leg of the trip. Both times at WOT. The first time it gave two very brief lurches where it just cut out for a few revolutions and then completely died for a good 10+ seconds. It then fired back into life just as I was coming to a stop.
When it is cut out there is no sign of backfiring etc. Just completely dead like it lost both fuel and spark at the same time.
The second time it just cut out for a second or less as I was passing.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the next step would be to change to a 5AM ECU and if that doesnt help then I'll look at rewiring most/all of the bike.
It may not be ECU related, although the 59M is reported not to be a particularly reliable ECU.
I recall that ignition issues were the case. If the ECU detects an ignition issue, then it cuts fuel.

I would look at two things.
The crank position sensor gap as it is easy to check.
The side/kickstand switch and in particular the connector just above it.

My bike exhibited random cutting out and I traced this to corrosion in the connector.
On the 15M controlling my bike when the stand is up the input to the ECU is a closed stand switch.
The corrosion sometimes was enough to make it look as though the switch was open, stand down, so cutting off.
I am not interested in a safety debate, as that has been covered elsewhere and solutions, but I wrapped copper wire around all three cleaned connectors.
It has not missed a beat since.

If you go down the 5AM route, Stick has done that here
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/241-te...t4s-planning-install-5am-ecu.html#post6621881
Lots of good info on results and issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give these a try

I did about 1000 trouble free miles last week (apart from a flat tire) which is a good thing I guess. But it makes it a lot harder to identify the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts