Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

replace rubber tank pad with Carbon Fibre piece.

18K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  cs363 
#1 ·
I would like to remove the rubber tank pad and replace that witha Carbon fibre piece.
Would some one please steer me in the right direction of who makes this part, please?

If there is also aplace that makes rear seat covers that would be good as well.
Does not need to be CF as I would like it to be painted in the same red colour ( do that myself if need be)

See less See more
#2 ·
i think they do no longer exist, i looked quite a while after one,
and couldn't find them on this side of the planet.

:think:

the seat covers are to be found at various places and ebay in example.

:think:

#4 ·
As posted above there is no easy way to fix the eyesore.

If you remove the rubber pad from the tank about half the pad will stick to the tank and be a major PITA to get off. There is also a nipple protruding from the tank that is used to locate the pad.

I have been planning on pealing the pad off grinding the nub down and then covering it with some techspec grip pad. Have not been able to bring my self to do that yet.

#6 ·
Did visit that Geelong Carbon before, but they do not seem to make the carbon replacement piece for the rubber ducky protection sadly:(
do not know why not.
Here in WA we are called Sandgropers and therefore we could be also Ducs in sand:D
thank you for your efford and please keep them coming.

#7 ·
There'a a set-up here in the UK that produces a carbon replacement for the tank pad.

They're MBLS Composites, they regularly advertise this part on fleabay.

Their site might be worth a visit. www.mblscarbon.com/

Please note I have no connection or interest (financil or otherwise).

They claim to be able to produce just about anything in carbon, with that in mind and the scarsity of DP carbon accesories. I'm considering whether it would be worth my while getting them to produce a pair of side panels for my 900ssie.

#12 · (Edited)
Ordering It Via The Net And His Website.

I ordered it via his website but could not alter the total amount for postage, Grrr... paid therefore only 28 squid and now hopefully I will get an email back telling me how to pay for the postage.
This computer rubbish stinks and so does paypal.
It supposed to make it easy, yeahh right, i mean Wrong!
never mind, also got my seat back from the motor trimmers, so both of the best world, able to take pillion and looks like a single seat somehow all for a crisp $100 bill.

in full daylight (late in the day) 38degrees C by the way!

#13 · (Edited)
carbon Fibre tank cover

Well,
What can I say,
Excelent follow up service from the people where I bought/ordered the tank cover from!
Quick, nice and propper follow up that has resulted in me being able to pay the freight and the CF piece being shipped to me.
Thank you.
and ,... now highly recomended from my part (and my missus, who did the admin/payment):D

now the next Question;
Is there a brand/make or www site of "flush sitting side blinkers" for this model?
The front ones are sticking out by a mile and I would like to make them flush inside the indent.

#18 ·
Well,
now the next Question;
Is there a brand/make or www site of "flush sitting side blinkers" for this model?
The front ones are sticking out by a mile and I would like to make them flush inside the indent.
I did the same as Chuck as those indicators fill the space very well. As indicators they are crap/useless etc. They have a poxy orange 8W bulb and you may get pulled over and defected. Also, I don't think they are safe/bright enough to do the job.

I have integrated mirrors, so only wanted to blank the hole. I pulled it apart, then bought a white LED, 300 Ohm resistor and a small diode which I installed inside, then wired to anywhere on the bike that gets 12V after the key is in the on position, so it looks like side or running lights. If you can't find a set in WA, send me a PM because I can get a set in about 10 minutes from my local workshop mate for about AUD$20 from memory and post them to you.

You can buy super bright LEDs, so could do what I did with an orange LED and but wire it you your existing indicator wires. If you find the LED and send me the specs, I can tell you what resistor and diode to buy.

Richard

#14 ·
They're not the brightest option, but they fill the indentation nicely...

http://www.brazeauracing.com/ducati/turnsignals.html

Your re-done seat looks great! Since my bike is gloss black, i opted for the Ducati Kaemna seat cover...

Post pics of the installed carbon fiber tank pad when you can. I'm sure there are a lot of people wanting to see it. :)

#20 · (Edited)
Thank you for your kind offer.
Friends are in the panelbeating trade and some serious glue is avalable.
I used it to glue a new bit of panel in my XB rear window to not weld it and deform the opening.
This is what I intend to use.

For the non Aussies, 1974 Ford XB Fairmont 351C/I same as the car used in Mad Max the movie.
Only made in Australia and nowadays a bit of a cult car especialy the Ford Falcon 351 GT variety

#21 · (Edited)

after a almost full day of peeling the spongy and glue bits off, it is on and looking good!

The 2002 900SSie have the grey foamy pad on the tank, so this is a much nicer finnish than the nasty grey one!
Now the indicators which have also arrived.
But want to put the Duc on the worktable to take side panels off, so much easier.

#24 ·
I somehow ended up with one of these (Your model) CF 900SS enbossed in the protector as well, new slightly shopsoiled with sticky bits already on.
Yours for what I paid for it $50 (from Frasers, the last one)

The one on the RHS

#26 ·
As soon as I seen this thread I just about ordered one for myself... it's not so much the pad that bothers me, it's the color... just stands out too much. Im looking into getting my seat re-wrapped and two toned for the solo seat look, im going to ask the same place if they can wrap the tank pad in a yellow material, whatever it is as close as possible to the yellow color of the bike. Should only cost like $20, worth a shot just to see how it looks. If I don't like it you bet im ordering one of these carbon covers.

#34 ·
You probably won't like the appearance with the wrapped rubber pad for two reasons: 1), it will add thickness to the already too-thick pad and 2), it will be difficult for anyone to wrap the pad without having edge creases somewhere around the periphery. Just buy the CF piece and paint it yellow.

#31 ·
Here a photo of how is the ball on the tank under the rubber

It's hard to cut away (i don't know a better term in english :confused::confused: ), anyway the tank follows the shape of the rubber so you must be skilled in using filler to cover the step ;)

Anyway, That carbon fiber cover is very good!!! :D

#32 ·
cutting locating "ball"

It is not hard at all, some tape on either side, a hand hacksaw with a nice new blade in it and carefully cut it away.
then grab a finnishing file and clean up the burrs and like.
take tape off.
apply some calv on bare metal and if you want some colour.
cut off ball area is completely covered by Carbon fibre cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.