Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of changing the shitty Marzocchi front end in my Monster 750 with a 900 fully adjustable Showa! I have changed the tubes in the italian one (pain in the butt) but am wondering if anyone could give me the low down on removing the tube from the axle/caliper mount lower on the Showa please before i get stuck in!! Will the tube come out by just undoing the damper rod bolt at the bottom, or does it need a lot of persuation like the Marzocchi? Any assistance greatly appreciated!! Cheers!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,483 Posts
I'm a little confused here. Are you separating the upper and lower halves of the forks? For what purpose? Anyway, there's lots of YouTube videos that show how, but basically you drain it, pull the guts, then slap hammer the halves apart.

EDIT: I understand what you're trying to do now. No, it doesn't come off that easily. I've never had to do it, but I'm pretty sure it'll need a little persuasion.

·
comrade moderator
26,801 Posts
Loosen the bottom bolt before you take the cap and springs off/out. Often a little heat around the fork seal area helps things slap-hammer apart easier. Heat gun heat, not torch heat. ;)

Is there a snap ring on top of the fork seal on these Yorik?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,483 Posts
Loosen the bottom bolt before you take the cap and springs off/out. Often a little heat around the fork seal area helps things slap-hammer apart easier. Heat gun heat, not torch heat. ;)

Is there a snap ring on top of the fork seal on these Yorik?
There is a snap ring. But I think the OP wants to remove the lower tube from the part of the fork that the axle passes through. Maybe they have different caliper bolt spacing or fender mounts? :confused:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
from memory the showa screw in. get the lower really hot. we made a sleeve with a bolt in it to lock into the hole in the tube, maybe even welded a bar to that to turn it or something like that. do they have a locking grub screw as well?

a question for you - why? you only need to do this if you want to replace the tube itself. are the showa ones damaged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the fork tubes are shot and have to be replaced! Ihave done them on my original Marzocchis where i heated the lowers up and used 40mm clip ons as turning mechanisms to aid removing the tubes from the axle/caliper castings after heating! Read, NOT a simple job but can be done!

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Yes remove the set screw first.
Heat the lower with a heat gun until you see oil smoke coming from the fork tube and then unscrew them. I have a tool made to remove them (think lollipop) . The tube will be hot so wear gloves.

Note : some times the set screw has damaged threads on the tube and these bad threads can damage the threads in the lower. Inspect the o-ring in the lower and red loctite when you reassemble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!!

Thanks to all for the advice!!
Yes the Marzocchis are done the same way but with no thread and are just an interference fit! (Read, BLOODY TIGHT!!!) So heating and turning and lotsa pushing and grunting to get them apart
!! Arrrgh!
I made a tool by purchasing some cheap ($50) 40mm clip ons to clamp to the tube and use as a turning tool without damaging the tubes! Worked perfectly!
And I have got a a 43mm pair ready to go for the Showas when they turn up!!
Cheers All!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Aren't the tubes really expensive ? I have one with a nick in the travel area that leaks . The only replacement tubes I could find were really pricey . I bought a set of forks with good tubes cheaper than I could buy replacement tubes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts