Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed my oil, replaced the outside oil filter, a little bit of shavings on the oil plug .....
And then I thought to myself ... hey, there was still a filter in the block,
let's get those ff out of it ...
So not ......... first remove the crazy Allen screws, which succeeded with a lot of patience and time
well ... then that cover / lid will fall off right away ......
another disappointment was with some kit / liquid gasket ???
flawless (thanks to a paint scraper / gasket scraper)
also got loose again ...
okay. now that filter out ....... beautiful ...
ALSO not ... pfff it appears that that kit or whatever is between the engine block wall and filter,
fiddling again with a kind of Stanley knife in the most uncomfortable positions,
finally loose then carefully pull out also succeeded ...
but then there is all flakes of metallic and coppery on that filter,
I made a video of it:
is still with the oil on it
and
was blown off with the oil
I am now wondering what that is
and several of us have already made something like that
Up ......... Sorry for this kind of english its translate by google

·
Registered
373 Posts
Appsappy: The filter is clearly doing its job. Those metal pieces do look a little scary. The manual advises to wash the filter in fuel and compressed air. Three bond 1215 is the correct sealant to use for oil screen baseplate. There should be a small O ring at the top of the screen and a big one at the bottom of the engine. I laughed when I saw the picture in the Ducati service manual; I would do this much more neatly:

·
Premium Member
12,402 Posts
You can get a fiber gasket from Ducati. Does the gasket goo have to set up for a required time before torquing up??? I bought extra screws for the oil screen plate. The originals are sooo soft like the plastic gas tank screws.
I thought about digging a hole in the ground under the oil screen to gain more access room. What a pita. This is why dealers charge so much.
I recall using a 1/4" torx bit with a ratcheting 1/4" wrench and used a jack to get enuff upward pressure to get the chewed up allen hole screw to remove it. :)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
you can torque it up straight away, the three bond will cure in short time.
That pressed plate and the std screws suck, they round out too easily and the threebond nonsense gets old quick.

There are a couple of companies that make a billet alloy cover with countersunk stainless screws and an o-ring, MUCH simpler and will make cleaning that filter a lot easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get a fiber gasket from Ducati. Does the gasket goo have to set up for a required time before torquing up??? I
bought extra screws for the oil screen plate. The originals are sooo soft like the plastic gas tank screws.
I thought about digging a hole in the ground under the oil screen to gain more access room. What a pita. This is why dealers charge so much.
I recall using a 1/4" torx bit with a ratcheting 1/4" wrench and used a jack to get enuff upward pressure to get the chewed up allen hole screw to remove it. :)
This was my solution to get under my multi;)?

·
Premium Member
12,402 Posts
I think that the goo seeps onto the screws hardens making problems worse.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The metal in that filter is disconcerting. The early model mts had main bearing issues and broken crankshafts. Is this the first incident of seeing metal? Can you cut open the filter and examine the pleats? I would highly question running that engine again without disassembly / inspection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep was thinking that the bike did more than 77.000 km and had 3 desmo's with no major problems

·
Premium Member
12,402 Posts
whats the mileage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts