Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone seen repeated stator failures on 749/999/1098/1198? i have one that shit the original at 40,000km, and has done two aftermarkets now at 10,000km intervals.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I recon 40km is average. I think the answer is the aftermarket jobbies. Poor insulation or winding. Sorry for asking but have you checked that the stator hasn’t come lose or the stator to harness wires are still joined? Insulation problems on the first aftermarket stator??

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've got a few customers over 70,000km without replacement.

first was an electrex world, second an electrosport. all tight as should be, no contact anywhere, clear oil jet, etc. just worried i'm missing something.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
i've got a few customers over 70,000km without replacement.

first was an electrex world, second an electrosport. all tight as should be, no contact anywhere, clear oil jet, etc. just worried i'm missing something.
Ive not had good 'luck' with Electrex stators.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
total failure? dark spots on the windings? sorry belter, i know you would have checked everything but this just may be your tattslotto draw. ive had multiple regs do the same on a bike for no apparent reason. and the odd lithium battery:)

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I have so few issues with oem stators and have seen my share of issues with aftermarket stators that I do not recommend them to customers. 100% of the time I would rather put a used oem in a bike than roll the dice on a aftermarket. electrex and electrosport have been cheap replacements for someone who does not want to keep the bike and wanted to show new parts installed. I unfortunately have had too high of a failure rate with them to trust using them.

I do not know if you can get a Ricks ( https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ the stators are made in the US as far as I know ( a customer just had a custom wound race stator made) and it looks good lets see how it works. I will know soon enough.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was talking to i think someone at af1 when i had to get a rick's stator for an aprilia and they were saying that the current aprilia genuine replacement alternator assemblies have "softer" magnets to reduce the output and help them live, which i thought was interesting. but i've not heard of that being an issue with the ducati. same part number was used into 1198, although it now ends in 2, not 1 so maybe there was some change. again, not that i've seen a lot of them fail in 749/999. only this one.

owner has bought up just getting a s/h 1x98 one and fitting that, but it's always the time factor and it's a commuter.

all the dead ones have had all phases with a short to earth, and a heavily burnt section somewhere. new reg (std sh579) went in when the first replacement was done. always has 14.1 - 14.2 when it's good, right up until the stator shits the nest.

the auto elec i call when i need advice says that a mosfet reg might help it because it doesn't take all the output load and dump the excess to heat like the sh579 does, it just takes the output it needs and clips the rest. but i don't get how that works. can you just set the phases to open circuit or the like and nothing happens? i thought that would hurt the alt, but is the output just a potential thing until a load is placed on it?

he also said the electrex world ones tend to be quite good in his exp, and being eastern european meant they were from a good source. remember when eastern european wasn't so good?

i could have the original rewound - it's been sitting on my office floor for a year or so, and i had meant to send it to jack to get rowan to do it for his stock, but never got around to it. maybe i'll do that.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Now there’s a couple of characters. Great guys and always helpful. Jacks semi retired but still does some work from home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts