Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again Gang!

In the process of going over the 1098s I bought, I discovered that one of the tabs that holds the upper & lower tail sections together was broken off of the lower part of the tail section. Since it was causing a gap in the area, I decided to replace the tab. The problem is that the lower part is made of PPA plastic, which is a special high temperature resistant engineered plastic, so the solution needs to resist high temps also.

To solve this, I decided to fabricate the replacement tab from some 1mm thick carbon fiber plate that I had around. A little research had me settle on Permatex Plastic Welder - in Black. DO NOT use the JB Weld brand of plastic bonder! It is simply a flexible epoxy and not the same thing at all.

Just file down the old broken tab flat & sand a small area around it. Cut the carbon with a hack saw and finish it with fine files. Easy stuff! Get everything ready to go and work really quickly with the Plastic Welder - it hardens REALLY fast! BTW, the Permatex stuff works fantastic on the fairing too.
The carbon plate & plastic welder are both available on Amazon.

Good Luck! -Gordo

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thank you for this. I had the same issue but was too lazy to try and fix it so I just bought the entire piece off eBay!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts