Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a question, and it may be dumb, but a question none the less. I see there is a metal tube in there which i assume comes off the fuel pump/filter assembly. Do you not have to worry about the POR-15 getting in there and clogging it up? Sorry if this is a waste of your time, but im new to the motorcycle thing. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nvr.fnsh, you need to cover the pipes up with duct tape. If you apply well enough, you should be able to do all the cleaning and prepping without the tape coming off. If you're not sure, just apply new tape before putting in the sealant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just completed this process and would like to add one more note regarding this treatment.

I noticed within a couple hours of pouring in the liner (and draining out the excess) that there were pockmarks in the liner. I realized that the pockmarks were only in locations where the liner was a little thicker than other areas. I also realized (now too late) that some ingredient in the liner has to evaporate in order for it to dry. If the liner is a bit too thick, then the evaporation from the 'underneath' portion has to work it's way out. The upper portion is already partially dry. As a result, the process forms very small pockmarks.

I don't think it will negatively impact the efficacy of the treatment. However, I wanted to post this so that others in the future will be aware.... drain as much of the tank liner out as possible so that it doesn't puddle or remain thick in the low-lying areas of the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some great tips there. My bike came to a stop the other day and I suspected the fuel filter or something. Opened up the tank and I found this. It's not leaking "Yet" but I believe I'll have to do something soon. Thanks for the article.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do you get filter out of tank??

I don't think it was addressed but how do you remove the inlet assembly after taking off the gas cap assembly. I'm afraid that if I try to force the thing off I'll end up doing more damage to the tank. I've ordered the Por-15 kit but I'm trying to prep the tank before it gets here. Thanks for any help with this, new bike for me 04 800ss yellow, want to treat it with care.:confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
cap

there are several hex head grub screws to remove from the inner edge,then put the handle of a wooden hammer through the hole and gently lever the cap up whilst working around in a circle
they not keen on comming out but some patience will get the job done,its worse trying to get them back in,use rubber grease and a rubber mallet to tap(wack) it back in
dont forget to fit the breather hoses b4 u refit it!!
cheers

·
Registered
396 Posts

Is mine going to be difficult since it's on the far end and side, it's pretty much un-reachable since it's up the side wall where there is maybe an inch of clearence. Does thr POR15 just get poured in and seals the the welds all along the entire bottom of the tank?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I finally got around to doing my tank. Here are the before and after pics. POR 15 all the way:

Thanks for all the info on this site it worked really well. The headlamp piece of advice was great. I also decided to replace my faulty fuel level sensor and to those who don't know already they take a minute or two to react. This caused me loads of grief.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hi guys,

After all this time with POR15 in your tanks, have you experienced any issues? Is there any need to re-seal the tank every "X" years? :think:

One of the spot welds on my tank was cracked. I've repaired the tank on the outside (brazed it) and I'm thinking about using the POR15 kit, however, there is no sign of rust inside the tank (yet)... :)

edit: I forgot to say that the guy who repaired my tank did a pressure test and there was no leak!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
As per my external fuel filter post, I have had the tank repaired.

I "consulted" a welding mate who directed me to a restoration company (they do Rolls Royce renos amongst other fine cars) who have a lot of radiator experience.

We determined the leak was from a cracked spot weld on the hinge to tank union. I meticulously stripped paint around the hinge plate, then blew out all the crap and paint stripper with a steam pressure cleaner.

They then sweated solder all around so that it wicked into all crevices under the offending plate. Another advantage is that solder is lowe temperature than welding and will not buckle the tank nor stuff up the visible paint work.

I showed them the POR-15, which they know of and they advised that this would not be necessary after their fix, so i did not do it

It had a few internal spots of surface rust and they gave me a wet product to spray on to remove the rust with a non metallic kitchen pot scourer - looks like new now.

Cost Australian Dollars 340 - Rolls Royce price? Much cheaper than 3,400 or so for a new tank and it is undoubtably fixed "forever", unlike the original construction!
I'm wondering how well this has held up over a year later?

I'm a bit concerned about soldering since solder is a very light material and it seems to me that it wouldn't hold up very well at all.

Any updates?

I'm starting to have this issue now and am needing to get it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a radiator shop sandblast and solder my tank, here's the after photo:

He was going to seal the inside but decided that it wasn't needed. Not entirely sure I agree with him but we'll see I suppose. It's been on the bike for a couple days and so far no leaks. I should probably bring the tank to a body shop and have them at least spray primer on the bottom so it doesn't rust. He charged me $80 which seems pretty good :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just finished using POR-15 on my monster tank.... Very happy with the results!

My tank I got off eBay for a new project only to find it was very rusty inside to the point I was thinking of getting another, but figured why not give this stuff a try. I cleaned tank twice, first time it produced nasty black gunk, rust/scale. Second time was much cleaner and seamed to get rid of the rest of the rust/scale. My only issue was with my tank, which does not have the removable inner filler neck making it almost impossible to see the inside of the tank. So with this kit I tended to overdue each step to ensure I cleaned, prepped and coated the entire inside.

Do to the amount of rust I had and overdoing each step it took pretty much all day to finish but I'm please to say this worked perfect, very happy with the results! Thanks for posting this as I would have never even thought of coating the tank before this.

·
Registered
527 Posts
2007 AND LEAKING??!!!! How can my 2007 ss800 have a leak in the tank after buying the bike just over two years ago new from the dealer? I have read most of the posts in this thread there are a lot of them, any problems with the fixes now that they have been used a couple of years? Any chance Ducati has stepped up and is replacing the tanks now?

21 - 40 of 82 Posts