Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I need some advice on whether to repair some cosmetic damage on the bike before selling or just sell as is.

I adore my 06 800 SS. It's gorgeous. It handles like it's on rails. The components are a joy to operate. And it runs so smooth and strong. I can't believe it's only 800 cc's. It blows the doors off my nearly 1600cc Harley.

But my 55-year old body can't take the riding position any more. It's not the wrists or elbows, since I hold myself up with my back. It's not my legs, since I can get them used to it with some practice. It's my neck. No matter how gradually I build up the miles, my neck always winds up hurting. And it hurts worse each time. The last couple of times I haven't been able to sleep all night.

I suspect I already aggravate my neck by sitting in front of a computer all day, and when I toss in a ride on the SS, it's just too much for it.

This really bums me out.

In any case, the bike is in excellent mechanical shape (4900 miles, just replaced the timing belts), but it's got a few cosmetic blemishes.

So my question is, should I just sell it as is for a lower price, or should I fix the cosmetics and charge more in the hope of making it more attractive to buy?

The cosmetic blemishes are:

1. Paint rubbed off the edge of the front fairing from what was either a drop in the garage or a brush with the wall. Done by previous owner.

2. There is very small crack where the left directional meets the fairing. I think the previous owner dropped it on its left side or bumped it against something.

3. Underside of lower fairing scratched by me when I loaded the bike onto the trailer. Sepuku! Can't see them when the bike is on the road, but you can see them when the bike is on the trailer.

4. Vertical head is discolored and some of the powder coating looks like it's peeling. Service department thinks from solvent left on the powder coating by previous owner.

I'd sure appreciate hearing what you think.

ape

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This whole exercise may be moot. While cleaning the bike I couldn't bear the thought of selling it. Maybe I'll trade it in some day on another Ducati, but I love too many things about this bike to part with it right now.

I'm going to take up yoga or something to help me deal with the neck. Learn the upside down humping dog or whatever that pose is called. See if I can't help my neck handle the strain.

ape

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
This whole exercise may be moot. While cleaning the bike I couldn't bear the thought of selling it. Maybe I'll trade it in some day on another Ducati, but I love too many things about this bike to part with it right now.

I'm going to take up yoga or something to help me deal with the neck. Learn the upside down humping dog or whatever that pose is called. See if I can't help my neck handle the strain.

ape
I'm sure that my years on bicycles has helped me immensely when it comes to motorcycling. And, yoga is an excellent idea. I'm 63 and still riding my Bayliss 998S on 500 mi. days. Hang in there and keep having fun.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For what its worth.... going to a double bubble screen seemed to help my neck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts