Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do any of you have any experience using Devcon Plastic Welder glue/adhesive, as opposed to standard epoxy, to repair leaks in your coolant bottle? I tried epoxy but it didn't hold for very long. I've heard that the Plastic welder sticks well to polyethylene/nylon so I'd like to try the Devcon product. I know that I should go ahead and replace the reservoir (yet again!) but just seeing if any of you have had luck repairing tiny cracks with products like these. The crack that I have is a really tiny perforation and accessible without removing the tank, ignition or airbox. Figured its worth a shot!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
you will waste your time trying to weld that reservoir bottle. Its is made of polyethylene. You can get PE welding rod but there are a million different compound so the likely hood of you getting the matching compound of welding rod is slim. If the compounds are different the rod will still stick but your adhesion will suffer. Also the bottle has already had coolant in it which will also give you problems with adhesion. I was a plastic fabricator for a long time and I can tell you welding polyethylene is not an easy task. ABS and polypropylene is a different story, they are easy to weld

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I really wish my bottle would show a leak. I know I'm loosing water but I don't know where. I don't see anything dripping from that upper bottle. Don't want to take it out just to find out it's not leaking.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I seems to me that the tell tale sign of the res bottle leaking is the spots on the wind screen.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
grendels_arm said:
I really wish my bottle would show a leak. I know I'm loosing water but I don't know where. I don't see anything dripping from that upper bottle. Don't want to take it out just to find out it's not leaking.
Check your T piece forward of your waterpump (follow the waterhose from waterpump forward). My brother had that piece come loose. Only showed when at operating temps, not when cold. I turned out to be a loose bolt. 2 minute fix and no more coolant loss.

//amullo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts