Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was time to repack and replace the sleeves on the old Staintunes after 20 +k miles on the ST2 .
Started out with the regular tools to remove the exhaust a 3/16 drill bit , small hammer , and a little penetrating lube and an FMF blanket kit(s) .
So after drilling out all of the rivets , i shot a little lube into the end to loosen the outlet cap , and let them sit for a bit . Took the hammer and lightly tapped the sleeve to loosen it's grip , also tapping on the end cap with the handle to walk it off . Then tapped the other end to loosen the sleeve and slide it off with the old packing inside . Took the new blanket and just wrapped it around nice and tight ( now some like to use a little tape , but ) I just held it in place and slid the new sleeve on . Put on the end cap hung the exhaust to make sure the hanger and straps were in the right spot . On a side note here ,, line up the seam on the carbon fiber sleeve with the bottom rivet hole .
After every thing looked good to me , took the cans off and redrilled and rerivetted it all back together , then installed the DB inserts .

Pics .
Old sleeves and packing , new sleeve .

New packing and sleeve , see the seam in the carbon fiber , line that up with the bottom rivet hole .

This is what you get .

Finished with the DB inserts ..

Next , time to change the belts .

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Brian

Just wondering where you managed to source the carbon tubes. The tubes on my Termis are aluminium and need regular cleaning. I think I could replace them with carbon reasonably easily. Just have never known where to get a hold of the carbon tubing.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wondering where you managed to source the carbon tubes. The tubes on my Termis are aluminium and need regular cleaning. I think I could replace them with carbon reasonably easily. Just have never known where to get a hold of the carbon tubing.
There used to be a DP repacking kit for the xx6-xx8 bikes , I got mine @ Munroe Motors in San Fransisco , you could take a look @ Lockhart Phillips ,
Moto might be able to get some for you .

·
Registered
4 Posts
staintune vs Fast by Feracci

I just purchased my 2003 ST4S (1060 miles) yellow and have been researching
aftermarket exhaust options. It appears these are my only 2 options? Looking mainly for sound, I know my bike is capable of providing. Oval? round? carbon?
stainless? Platinum? I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sold my grey 2003 ST4S a year ago and found my color(yellow)after nearly a year of withdraw. Great to be back in the saddle. I to new to this site to put on a WTB used aftermarket st4s pipes. Prefer Termi. Thanks for any help all.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
aftermarket exhaust options. It appears these are my only 2 options? Looking mainly for sound, I know my bike is capable of providing. Oval? round? carbon?
stainless? Platinum? I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sold my grey 2003 ST4S a year ago and found my color(yellow)after nearly a year of withdraw. Great to be back in the saddle. I to new to this site to put on a WTB used aftermarket st4s pipes. Prefer Termi. Thanks for any help all.
I love my Staintunes, they are a very high quality Australian made product.

I have the full round stainless ones on mine and don't use the optional baffle insert, so they sound awesome, but not loud enough to get me arrested yet.
The looks you get are of admiration or wondering about the clutch noise and whats going to fall off it.

Cleaning the stainless is a breeze, just wipe them down when you wash the bike, no special polishing required.

Visit their site, you can also get upgraded chips to go with your new pipes, if you want.

Craig

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Every once in a while a Termi exhaust pops up on flebay , but buyer beware as always from there .
From the Motowheels site they have Leo and Sil . Desmo Works has a NCR close out , but no ST listed . Staintune list the ST line , you might be able to locate a ST DP set up from one of the many dealers , but that will require finger work and a few calls or emails from your end .

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2004 ST3 that has the DP Carbon Fiber Exhaust Kit installed. It came with CF cans, DP ECU, DP open air filter cover and DP K&N style air filter. I removed all of the emissions plumbing, carbon canister, plugged up the air box and intake runners and installed a K&N filter over the oil breather. and then had it re-tuned. No flat spot now between 200-400 RPM and bike pulls from 200 RPM on up to redline.
There doesn't seem to be any baffles in my exhaust cans. They seemed loud when I first got them, but I guess I'm used to them now. Anyway to make them louder or sound deeper? I have heard other Duc's with different pipes, sound louder and deeper.

J

·
0 Posts
So it was time to repack and replace the sleeves on the old Staintunes after 20 +k miles on the ST2 .
Started out with the regular tools to remove the exhaust a 3/16 drill bit , small hammer , and a little penetrating lube and an FMF blanket kit(s) .
So after drilling out all of the rivets , i shot a little lube into the end to loosen the outlet cap , and let them sit for a bit . Took the hammer and lightly tapped the sleeve to loosen it's grip , also tapping on the end cap with the handle to walk it off . Then tapped the other end to loosen the sleeve and slide it off with the old packing inside . Took the new blanket and just wrapped it around nice and tight ( now some like to use a little tape , but ) I just held it in place and slid the new sleeve on . Put on the end cap hung the exhaust to make sure the hanger and straps were in the right spot . On a side note here ,, line up the seam on the carbon fiber sleeve with the bottom rivet hole .
After every thing looked good to me , took the cans off and redrilled and rerivetted it all back together , then installed the DB inserts .

Pics .
Old sleeves and packing , new sleeve .

New packing and sleeve , see the seam in the carbon fiber , line that up with the bottom rivet hole .

This is what you get .

Finished with the DB inserts ..

Next , time to change the belts .
Nice,looks great,i went down sat.ended w/ damage to the rht hand side of the exhaust carbon and to the cap,this thread may help me and i thank you for sharing it or i could get the insurance to buy me a new set but tomorrow i'm callin to find out what the deductable will be,how in the hell do you ribit the cap back on,amazing,could you do mine:D

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how far is KINGSBURG from the bay area ? i'll show you how , it'll take about 2 hours , bring the parts and lunch for three and 2/3s gotta feed the dog to :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I love my Staintunes, they are a very high quality Australian made product.

I have the full round stainless ones on mine and don't use the optional baffle insert, so they sound awesome, but not loud enough to get me arrested yet.
The looks you get are of admiration or wondering about the clutch noise and whats going to fall off it.

Cleaning the stainless is a breeze, just wipe them down when you wash the bike, no special polishing required.

Visit their site, you can also get upgraded chips to go with your new pipes, if you want.

Craig
I also have the full round Stainless set. I have found a little Mothers Mag polish on Mothers polishing ball makes them look like chrome. With the black bike it really looks sharp, and the sound is deep but not obnoxious. The neighbors say if they are up they sometimes hear me leave, but I have never woke them up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts