Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning a 16 day trip to LA around February 2018 and I'd love to bring my wonderful Ducati Streetfighter 1098S from Europe to ride her there but that'll cost too much money.

The alternative was to rent a motorbike and have fun while visiting all around California but prices are crazy as well! The cheaper I found was around $80 per day plus taxes -around $1400 total- when anybody can rent a car for those 16 days for less than $400. The problem is that I love that much motorbikes that I do not have a car driving license yet so I'd like to know if any of you know somewhere or someone I can rent a motorbike for a decent price. I've been riding motorbikes for more than 5 years, I do not know if that'll make a difference.

I even checked scooter prices and there's only $30 difference. For that price difference it is not worth it...

Maybe one of you can rent me your motorbike for a decent price with a well done contract for any inconveniences >:) hahah

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Motorcycle rentals are going to be more expensive than car rentals (far more, typically) because in the US they are viewed as novelty rentals. Harley Davidson dealers usually have rental programs and the most competitive rates (still about three times what you'd pay for an economy car+liability). I know some BMW dealers do too.

For sixteen days I'd expect it to run about $2000 to rent...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motorcycle rentals are going to be more expensive than car rentals (far more, typically) because in the US they are viewed as novelty rentals. Harley Davidson dealers usually have rental programs and the most competitive rates (still about three times what you'd pay for an economy car+liability). I know some BMW dealers do too.

For sixteen days I'd expect it to run about $2000 to rent...
That's more than 4 times the cost of the flights round trip :(

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Call Ducati Dave, he's the owner of RentaDucati.

Based in LA, he's a friend and a super nice guy, I'm sure he'll work out a "deal" for that long of a period.

Coming from Eu, you will love the roads & weather we have in SoCal.

Hwy 1, 58, 46, 129, 33, 25... are all btwn LA and SF, and are a total blast. Be careful of police on hwy1, other than that you're good to go!

Cheers!

PS; If you wanted, you could even do a track day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call Ducati Dave, he's the owner of RentaDucati.

Based in LA, he's a friend and a super nice guy, I'm sure he'll work out a "deal" for that long of a period.

Coming from Eu, you will love the roads & weather we have in SoCal.

Hwy 1, 58, 46, 129, 33, 25... are all btwn LA and SF, and are a total blast. Be careful of police on hwy1, other than that you're good to go!

Cheers!

PS; If you wanted, you could even do a track day.
Wow thank you very much for all those tips! I will take a look and come back to you!

The track day sounds reaaaally good, I'll look for some information about that! :D

Yeah. There's not really a cheap rental option in the US. You could buy 1098S for about 4x what it will cost you to rent...

Maybe Ducati Dave will give you an awesome deal.
Bffff crazy prices yeah... Yes I'll give it a try, thanks! :D

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Nice. Have you used this? Good experience?
I haven't but a buddy of mine has and his experience was good. I plan on renting one from them for a longer trip this summer as neither of my bikes are really suited for long distance riding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried with RentaDucati and the prices are very high as well. The cheapest is Ducat Monster 696 but total around $1600...

Thank you very much! I already registered to the site and prices are not that bad, but then they apply 20% to use that site as the platform to rent and I got same prices than everywhere else :(.

Does anybody know if I can rent a bike for two weeks for around $500?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I tried with RentaDucati and the prices are very high as well. The cheapest is Ducat Monster 696 but total around $1600...

Thank you very much! I already registered to the site and prices are not that bad, but then they apply 20% to use that site as the platform to rent and I got same prices than everywhere else :(.

I think what I liked on that site was the ability to rent a bike that I wanted rather than what some rental agency had to offer. Even with the 20% I found that for the bikes I was interested in it was still cheaper.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Hell No!

Considering they go for 150-250 per DAY. :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

Lol, man now you're trying to stretch it. Bikes are ultra luxury items. You can rent a car for 2weeks for 300, but not a Ferrarri.

If you wanna get creative you can buy a bike and then turn around and sell it, that may be the only way it turns out around $500. But that's got a -20% chance of working out favorably.

Are you from Amsterdam? :grin2:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It's expensive, but you gotta pay to play.
At least you have options.
I'd like to rent in the Fayetteville AR area where my grandkids live.
Also incidentally my daughter and son in law. :laugh:

The only choice is between a 750 pound Hog and an 800 pound Hog for about $200 per day. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts