Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd break off the Caravan thread. This is a long one.

This was my first track day, ever. Andrea and I are signed up for THill, but I thought I would mosey on up to Fernley and watch the fun, since Andrea had her Reserve weekend at Beale. Jovan told me I'd might as well ride if I was going to go that far. I came up with some excuses why I couldn't, and he pretty much shot them all down. He offered to bring my bike up in his truck, and offered his air mattress to sleep on. This, after having met me twice.

I made my final decision to go Thursday afternoon, so I spent a couple of mad hours prepping the bike while working on Andrea's. I rode over to Jovan's, loaded up the truck and he gave me a ride home.

Friday, I packed up my remaining stuff and rode my DRZ to his house. We finished packing and took off east. We pulled off after Auburn to let the rest of the group catch up. After a short drizzle-accompanied rest stop, everybody left together. We stopped in Reno for dinner at the El Dorado, and continued to the Super8. After experiencing the fire at the check-in counter (well, there was a lot of flaming, anyway), we faked sleeping until it was light enough to leave for the track.

I was impressed with some of the set-ups some people had there. Not far from straight up racers. We did a sighting lap in the trailer of Jesus' truck, which was neat, except I forgot what was said about the first turn by the time we got to the fifth or sixth turn - and there was a lot more turns to go! Following Mike for a couple laps was a lot of help, but it was still so much info to process. I did a couple more laps and had to come in, as my knees were killing me. If I ever needed a reason to start exercising again, I have one now. My second session was unbelievably frustrating, as I couldn't remember anything from the first one! I had to come in to ask Jovan if somebody could lead me around again. He graciously volunteered and sighted me for a couple of laps. That helped a lot, but my knees pulled me out after a couple more laps and that was it before lunch.

Lunch was great, thanks John! I was one of the last ones, so I sat around for a bit to let it settle. My third session was the best of the day. I actually remembered where most of the track went well enough that I spent most of the time shaking my head as I screwed up in almost every turn. But it was the most fun, as I tried to get things right and figure out where I was messing up. That was my longest session, and definitely the most fun.

Jon, Misti and I were sitting under the EZup, when Joe said he was taking off as no one else seemed to need his help. We corrected that situation right away with an arrangement to have him lead us on a couple of laps and then drop behind each one of us to evaluate our riding.

I didn't quite get the chance to have an eval, as I checked out before Joe could get to me. From discussion, it appears that I broke harder than usual, and turned in too early, which put me wide of the line in the dirty asphalt. The turn worker told me he had had a couple of dust devils come through there, too. Whatever it was, I used up my traction account with the front tire and washed it. It was quite a slow lowside, as I had enough time to realize what was happening, but not enough to do anything about it but say "Nooo!" in my head. The bike fell on the left side on my leg. I slid to a stop in probably only twenty feet or so, still well on the track. The bike continued on without me, and flopped on its right side when it got to the gravel. I got up and picked the bike up, but couldn't get it started, so I had to ride the crash truck back to the pits. Thanks to all the guys who came out and loaded up my bike.

That pretty much wrapped up my day, as I broke both ears off the fairing stay. I also damaged the left lower and the upper fairing. Other than some minor rash, nothing else was significantly damaged. Crash-wise, I'm not unhappy. Thanks to the folks that asked about me and gave me support, I'll be back.

All in all, it was a great day. I got to spend it with a lot of cool people riding my bike to my limit. Thanks to John and Jovan for setting all this up; thanks to the Reno-Fernley crew for being there; thanks to Jon and Misti for keeping me hydrated, shaded and accompanied; thanks to eveybody for being there. Andrea and I will be seeing you in September(she's not even slightly upset I crashed, either, though she reiterated that I should probably get a job!).

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Bombash said:
Just spoke to Jeremy and we get third choice of a date for next year @ Fernley.

Right on Jovan! Uuummm, I wonder what I'll make for lunch next time? If I could get a deal on steaks... You all deserve it!

Dug, nice report very candid. I'm glad you decided to join us. Its all about the company and learning what you can do with your bike. Rather there than on the street, right? Ignore me, I was the exception, lol. Now you and Som will go down as our first crash members in the Ducati Owners Group. You both qualified for the Dog Pound!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I knew it. I will forever be tag for it. :) I was getting worry that you guy say something like "don't be pulling the som" :D.

MAN, I didn't know we can go for second on the burger. I was afraid there weren't enough then I found out Vinny has 3. ;P Steak for next year huh? ;)

I can't wait for next year. I love the layout of this track. I was dragging knee on turn 2, 11, 12, 13 and 16 on last session before my peg caught rumble strip. But, I still don't have the courage to pin it on the straight.

·
Registered
311 Posts
duc999 said:
I knew it. I will forever be tag for it. :) I was getting worry that you guy say something like "don't be pulling the som" :D.

MAN, I didn't know we can go for second on the burger. I was afraid there weren't enough then I found out Vinny has 3. ;P Steak for next year huh? ;)

I can't wait for next year. I love the layout of this track. I was dragging knee on turn 2, 11, 12, 13 and 16 on last session before my peg caught rumble strip. But, I still don't have the courage to pin it on the straight.

It was the 3rd burger that made me go wide...too much weight over the tank. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts