Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 04 ST4s ABS (the unicorn) a little over a month ago. It's in the Sena colors but came with black wheels, which, of course, just will not do! I had a pr of ST3 5 spoke wheels I had powder coated red so I'm using those to replace the black wheels.

I was figuring when I pull the rear wheel to swap all I needed to do was pull the sprocket/carrier hub and insert into the new wheel. I just received new vibration dampers for the cush drive.

Is there anything I need to know before I jump into this process? Do I just tap with a rubber mallet to get the vibration dampers into the wheel?

Never done this before so please tell me what I don't know.

Thx all.

Michael
P.S. I'll post pics once I get all the little crap resolved.

·
Registered
2005 Ducati ST3
27 Posts
Interesting. I'm actually picking up some 5 spoke wheels from an ST4s and was planning on swapping into my ST3. Is your only issue because of the ABS? Or am I going to run into other issues?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW my wheels came off an 06 ST3s ABS that I crashed in 2018. I even have a second set of the same 5 spoke wheels from another 06 ST3s in the stock, kinda grey color and finally, I have the set of Forged Marchesini 10 spoke wheels that came on the bike. NOt sure what I'm doing with all the wheels yet.

I wouldn't say I have an issue. I'm swapping the wheels because the so-called Senna colored bikes have red wheels and that's a look I like. I think the current 10-spoke black forged wheels, while lighter and stronger, look like crap. I know there is the cush drive, then a hub/carrier for the sprocket. None of this has anything to do with whether or not the bike has ABS. The ABS phonic wheel bolts to the rear brake disk on the opposite (right side as you sit on the bike) side from the sprocket/cush drive.

I'm asking the question about "What don't I know" so I don't get into the job with the rear wheel off, the sprocket and carrier pulled out of the cush drive and THEN learn there's some bearing, circlip, new nuts or who knows what else that I don't currently have and will take 2-3 weeks to get.

The 5 spoke wheels from a ST4s should, to my understanding, fit your ST3 perfectly.

Reactions: MrSpoo

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I fought this battle and lost. Hopefully yours are a piece of cake. If they don't come out with the puller @mlukason linked, you may need a good soaking with PB Blaster and/or added heat from a torch or oven (when the wife's not looking). I tried all of the above and in the end took mine to a machine shop where they cut through each one in order to remove them.

Some folks also recommend throwing the new ones in the freezer overnight so they go in easier. No idea if they actually contract enough to make a difference, but I figure it can't hurt to try.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't need to worry about pulling old dampers. The new wheel is empty except for wheel bearings, which are new and I pressed in last week. Like you just got it back from the powder coater and have only installed the wheel bearings. And I also have an excellent bearing remover.

Currently, I have both the new dampers and the new bearings for the carrier/hub sitting in the freezer.

My question(s) is more along the lines of, "should I be replacing the pins (that go into the dampers) as I replace the dampers? What if I don't? What am I sacrificing? Should the sprocket nuts be replaced or is it OK to reuse the old ones?"

I have all the parts except new pins and new sprocket nuts.

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
I see what you're doing. I've not heard of anyone replacing the pins. Certainly Ducvet or Belter would know better...but I don't recall ever reading about anyone having to do that. I've reused the sprocket nuts...changed sprockets 3 times now and never had any issues with the nuts loosening.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx mlukason. Good to know. Then it sounds like I'm ready to dig into this rear-wheel project. Seems like I have all the parts I need.

Reactions: mlukason

·
Registered
916 Posts
Toss the rim in the oven....powder coaters will often pick the bushings off the ground as the simply fall out...or use a torch and wait until water dances off the rim

·
Registered
2005 Ducati ST3
27 Posts
FWIW my wheels came off an 06 ST3s ABS that I crashed in 2018. I even have a second set of the same 5 spoke wheels from another 06 ST3s in the stock, kinda grey color and finally, I have the set of Forged Marchesini 10 spoke wheels that came on the bike. NOt sure what I'm doing with all the wheels yet.

I wouldn't say I have an issue. I'm swapping the wheels because the so-called Senna colored bikes have red wheels and that's a look I like. I think the current 10-spoke black forged wheels, while lighter and stronger, look like crap. I know there is the cush drive, then a hub/carrier for the sprocket. None of this has anything to do with whether or not the bike has ABS. The ABS phonic wheel bolts to the rear brake disk on the opposite (right side as you sit on the bike) side from the sprocket/cush drive.

I'm asking the question about "What don't I know" so I don't get into the job with the rear wheel off, the sprocket and carrier pulled out of the cush drive and THEN learn there's some bearing, circlip, new nuts or who knows what else that I don't currently have and will take 2-3 weeks to get.

The 5 spoke wheels from a ST4s should, to my understanding, fit your ST3 perfectly.

Thanks for clarifying. The ones I'm swapping are actually the red Marchesini wheels. Depending where you are, I may be willing to trade for the same set in another color. Wasn't really digging the red on a silver bike.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toss the rim in the oven....powder coaters will often pick the bushings off the ground as the simply fall out...or use a torch and wait until water dances off the rim
No need. The bushings are already out and I'm preparing to install the new bushings/dampers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts