Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it completely necessary for a PCIII if I install a set of Remus slip-ons on my 999? An employee/co-owner? of my local Duc shop has an '05 999 with Remus slip-ons and he is not using a PCIII, only the stock mapping. However, they did tweak the fuel/air mixture a bit after the install. He said it runs great and doesn't appear to run rich or lean. He fired it up for me and it sounded great at idle. That said, what are your opinions to my question... do you all feel a power commander is or isn't necessary? If it's not necessary, exactly how do you tweak the air/fuel ratio? Is it something I could do myself or do I need to have my shop do it? I plan on installing the slip-ons myself and would like to do everything else myself if possible. If I do get a PCIII, after I install it along with the slip-ons, will I need to have any other adjustments done by a tech, or will I be good to go? Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I didn't really ride mine much without the pcIII but it seemed to run pretty good,but it did run way better after the pcIII and custom map the dealer used in it. I can't help much else and mine is a 749 but it did sound good didn't it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CHRISMI. If possible, could you please take a couple more pics of your set-up from a few different angles (ie. rear shot, angled shot, full-bike shot) and post them here? I'm trying to decide whether I want carbon or titanium. If anyone else has any pics of titanium slip-ons, please post. I've already seen the photos of the titanium set-up from the Desmoworld website. Any others would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes, it may run good without a PCIII. You definately want to take it to a dealer/shop so they can hook it up to the mathesis and make sure the mixture is set right. The mixture is somewhat adjustable on our bikes. Yes, it has to be done by a dealer because they have to tap into the ECU...it's not a mechanical adjustment. I would also consider this a MANDATORY thing after installing the exhaust also. Your exhaust will alter the mixture. If you plan on getting a PCIII ( which will make a big difference regardless of how good it seems to be running) I would also recommend the shop set the mixture as discussed, make sure the TPS is set properly, and balance the throttle bodies. That way it will be as near perfect as possible before you install the PCIII. The PC as a general rule should not be used/counted on to "fix" a problem...think of it as an additional tuning tool. Getting the initial tuning at the dealer though is not a big deal...maybe an hours labor and that should be it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I ran a Termi slip-on on a 749 without need for new ecu or pc3, and it ran just fine, still very smooth all throughout the power band. However, I did notice a lower idle afterwards and it stalled often. Increasing the idle speed got rid of the stalling. It would be best however to make the appropriate fuel adjustments, to maximize the benefits of the slip-on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A full side view!

Scott,I got them from tecmoto..i think i found them in the resources section on the old site. i had to modify the right side to fit,it was a PITA!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
This should give you some idea of what a PCIII can do for you. After the dealer (and a reputable one that knows what they are doing at that) had done all they could do with the stock ECU, the PC still netted me a gain of 3-5 hp and improved torque 'everywhere' from idle to redline with a max gain of 7 hp somewhere. It also almost fixed my dull spots. But the dull spots are a big exhaust issue not a "tuning" issue so I'll just live with it. Worthy of mentioning here (and the real benefits of a PC) is look at the new air/fuel line. Flat as a fiddle. That's where all your great throttle response and stuff comes from...and you will notice it!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice, folks. CHRISMI, thanks for taking the time to post those pics. Yes, it is a beautiful bike indeed! galaxy, thanks for posting the chart. Hmmmmm... now I just have to figure out whether I want carbon fibre or titanium.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thank you Brian and Kabinski for the comments about my bike! i feel bad because i have been neglecting my SS since i got the SBK! I decided on the carbon because i knew i would add other carbon accessories later and it would seem to match better,not to mention maybe it won't cook my rearend so bad in the summer since the cans are carbon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.