Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello eveyone,

I'm still waiting for my shop manual to arrive via snail mail. I got a nice carbon steering yoke cover for my 95 900 SP today. I was going to refinish the paint and keep it original but couldn't resist some carbon bling instead.

As mentioned by a member in here I can "tap" out the two bolts (?) attaching the Ducati plaque to the yoke. However it seems the easiest way to remove the plaque is to remove the yoke all together and get it on a bench. I plan on re- attaching the plaque on top of the carbon piece of course. My question is......how to remove the yoke without major disassembly of the steering/fork/yoke. Is is possible to just remove all large nuts and pull the yoke right out keeping the forks in place? Will I need to unload the suspension first? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
you can take the upper yoke off, and the fork will
remain in the frame, as the fork stem is secured
by the round nut that holds the upper bearing which
is below the upper dust-cap.

have fun. :)

·
Chilehead
6,980 Posts
However, take pressure off the forks by supporting the front end, either with an under-yoke stand, floor jack under the front cylinder, etc.

You don't need to lift the wheel, just take pressure off the forks.

Tom

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why not leave the plaque attached to the triple tree and simply cut the appropriate hole for it in the carbon piece you have. The carbon cover may not last forever.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not leave the plaque attached to the triple tree and simply cut the appropriate hole for it in the carbon piece you have. The carbon cover may not last forever.
Thanks for the tips guys! Cutting a "hole" for the plaque was suggested by the vendor I bought the carbon from but unfortunately I'm better at turning wrenches than weilding a scalpel/exacto knife/dremel etc. I wasn't very good in art class when I was a kid! :D I was planning to make a template first but I can't even cut paper in a straight line. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts