Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it seems my rear tire has a tiny piece of wire in it. It's completely flat. I just ordered a new tire, and found a bike shop 40 stinking miles away that will mount and balance the wheel for $40 :crazy:

I'm working out of town, so I don't have most of my tools, but I'm going to need to get the rear wheel off, and put back on myself.

Can anyone give me an idea of what tools I will need?

I'm assuming just a torque wrench and a large socket? Does anyone know what size socket I will need?

I'm guessing I can do all of this with it on the centerstand?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes, you can do in on the center stand, but I recommend attaching something heavy to the bars via a strap to lessen the chance of tipping backward.

You'll need to remove the heat shield and the slip on, then you'll just need to undo the 55mm nut. I have heard but can't confirm that a standard 55mm socket doesn't fit as well as one of the purpose made sockets. I have one like this: Amazon link.

Consider having an impact wrench available. I took my bike to a local shop and they claimed they bent a breaker bar trying to get that nut off. It's a bastard.

230nm for tightening.

Last time I went to all that trouble it was hardly anything else to just mount the tire myself. Got a pair of those long Motion Pro steel tire irons that interlock to make a bead breaker and it was pretty straightforward. Balanced the whole deal on a couple of jackstands using the adapter that Marc Parnes makes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I did this last month and totally agree with all of the above. There are a couple of Youtube videos also.

I broke a torque wrench and a breaker bar. Only got it off with an air-driven impact wrench.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this last month and totally agree with all of the above. There are a couple of Youtube videos also.

I broke a torque wrench and a breaker bar. Only got it off with an air-driven impact wrench.
Yikes!

I don't have jack stands.

I watched the videos. If I was at home, I would order what I need and just to it myself, but for $40, I won't hesitate to let someone else do it for me while on the road.

I'll try to rent a breaker bar and a large socket set from Oreillys. I have all the stuff I need at home. Don't want to buy the same tools twice.

I saw somewhere that a torque wrench wasn't necessary since you have to get the safety pin in anyway. You're either lined up on the hole or you aren't? I'll rent one anyway.

Any grease that I will need? Someone somewhere was talking about grease on the nut somewhere?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't have jack stands.

I watched the videos. If I was at home, I would order what I need and just to it myself, but for $40, I won't hesitate to let someone else do it for me while on the road.

I'll try to rent a breaker bar and a large socket set from Oreillys. I have all the stuff I need at home. Don't want to buy the same tools twice.

I saw somewhere that a torque wrench wasn't necessary since you have to get the safety pin in anyway. You're either lined up on the hole or you aren't? I'll rent one anyway.

Any grease that I will need? Someone somewhere was talking about grease on the nut somewhere?
I zipped right over the part about being out of town. I get that you don't want to buy a full set of tools in that situation. For others that might read this, my advice still stands though. I think it was maybe around $200 to buy everything I need to mount and balance tires. Doesn't take long to come out ahead with the tire markup and fees I've found most places charge.

I personally would not go without correctly torquing the nut. Yeah, the hole lines up, but it lines up a bunch of times in the process, from barely-on to about-to-strip-the-threads.

I need to look at my service manual for the specifics, 'cause yeah, you should apply a little grease in the process. I recall it's pretty obvious, in that you put a smear of fresh grease anywhere that looks like it still had grease on it when you took it apart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 2 sets of wheels and I can swap the rear one in under 10 mns without rushing

my tools :
- a rear stand or center stand
- the special socket
- impact gun (or a long breaker bar which didn't work for me as it almost broke)
- big torque wrench
- grease
- gloves

removing the rear wheel is very straight forward and there are tons of videos online to help you out. just choose if you wanna sweat buckets using a breaker bar or use the impact gun to remove the nut in less than 5seconds.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 2 sets of wheels and I can swap the rear one in under 10 mns without rushing

my tools :
- a rear stand or center stand
- the special socket
- impact gun (or a long breaker bar which didn't work for me as it almost broke)
- big torque wrench
- grease
- gloves

removing the rear wheel is very straight forward and there are tons of videos online to help you out. just choose if you wanna sweat buckets using a breaker bar or use the impact gun to remove the nut in less than 5seconds.
I hear you, but again, I am 7 hours from home. Not about to buy crap that I already own. I realize I should have brought some things with me, but ….in 21 years of riding, I've never actually had a tire go bad on me.

I have the original wheels for my S2R1000. I can swap those out on my 916 anytime (don't know if they'll fit on the multistrada or not), but....they aren't here anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seriously how are you guys breaking a breaker bar? I've worked on a lot of heavy equipment where an impact would was too weak but a breaker bar always worked, that's the point of the breaker bar, to break the nut loose and then drive it off with an impact.

And to the guy who broke a torque wrench!!!!!!!!! Were you using it to remove the nut? If so that's not the purpose of that tool.

If your breaking your bar on this nut then you have shitty tools, its really just that simple.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I zipped right over the part about being out of town. I get that you don't want to buy a full set of tools in that situation. For others that might read this, my advice still stands though. I think it was maybe around $200 to buy everything I need to mount and balance tires. Doesn't take long to come out ahead with the tire markup and fees I've found most places charge.

I personally would not go without correctly torquing the nut. Yeah, the hole lines up, but it lines up a bunch of times in the process, from barely-on to about-to-strip-the-threads.

I need to look at my service manual for the specifics, 'cause yeah, you should apply a little grease in the process. I recall it's pretty obvious, in that you put a smear of fresh grease anywhere that looks like it still had grease on it when you took it apart.
Any idea what kind of grease?

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
I used a breaker bar... ONCE. Then I went out and got a 550ft-lb Ingersoll Rand Impact wrench. It doesn't just spin it off instantly but it's always off within 5 or 6 seconds. I'm NOT surprised that a 300ft-lb tool can't get it (or struggles mightily)

I always replace the grease in the threads and torque to spec... but it always takes a LOT of umph to get it back off (more than spec torque).

When touring I take the socket with me and have not had trouble finding shops to change the tires (usually phone ahead to set up the appt and have the tire shipped to them directly).

·
Registered
49 Posts
This 100%

I have one of these I got just for this job and it takes the wheels and sprockets off easily. I find myself using it almost weekly on other vehicles/toys in the garage. I torqued my wheels back on using my torque wrench and I still don't see how people are breaking thing when trying to get the sprocket/wheel off as I can easily do it with my rather short 18" breaker bar.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently an associate at work claims he took his tire to the $40 shop and they absolutely mangled his wheel.

The only other shop around (a dealer) charges $150, or $100 if I just bring in the wheel, so I said F it and bought all the crap I will need to do it myself.

I hope it's as easy as the videos imply. Nothing ever is. I'll be using white lithium grease on the wheel threads. Is that OK?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I purchased an impact gun specifically because of the Ducati SSSA lugnut. A cheap Harbor Freight 1/2" drive electric will do the job, don't need anything fancy. 100% agree with those who've said they broke a breaker bar, though. I did the same, and the nut didn't even budge. I have a theory that over time, road grime migrates in between the wheel bearing surface and the nut, and starts to act almost like glue. Only reason I can think of why a cheap impact will do the job in seconds, while a 36" breaker bar won't touch it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seriously how are you guys breaking a breaker bar? I've worked on a lot of heavy equipment where an impact would was too weak but a breaker bar always worked, that's the point of the breaker bar, to break the nut loose and then drive it off with an impact.

And to the guy who broke a torque wrench!!!!!!!!! Were you using it to remove the nut? If so that's not the purpose of that tool.

If your breaking your bar on this nut then you have shitty tools, its really just that simple.

yup i borrowed a shitty breaker bar from a friend, worked well to change his car tires but not good enough for the bike. simple as that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Apparently an associate at work claims he took his tire to the $40 shop and they absolutely mangled his wheel.

The only other shop around (a dealer) charges $150, or $100 if I just bring in the wheel, so I said F it and bought all the crap I will need to do it myself.

I hope it's as easy as the videos imply. Nothing ever is. I'll be using white lithium grease on the wheel threads. Is that OK?
I’d personally get a tub of some molybdenum based axle grease. It’s cheap enough, and then you don’t have to worry about whether or not lithium is actually an appropriate replacement.

What tire irons did you get? I’ve changed my own tires a few time and it wasn’t until I got these big honkin' Motion Pro levers that I actually found it to be easy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’d personally get a tub of some molybdenum based axle grease. It’s cheap enough, and then you don’t have to worry about whether or not lithium is actually an appropriate replacement.

What tire irons did you get? I’ve changed my own tires a few time and it wasn’t until I got these big honkin' Motion Pro levers that I actually found it to be easy.
I had the motion pro ones in my cart, but read mixed reviews.

I ordered a set of three https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVGSO0A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and a lot of the reviews mentioned that it's nice to have three. IDK. Now it looks like the breaker bar may not work and I'll have to buy a damn impact wrench. This is getting ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts