Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I just picked up an 800SS which had the atypical tank leak which the last owner had repaired (welded). Doesn't leak anymore but there are what I can only describe as varnish stains on the frame and case.
What can I use to remove them that won't hurt the frame paint or etch the case? Looks like the bike was incontinent.

Obligatory Picture of New Bike...

/Obligation

·
Registered
322 Posts
what i did:sprayed brake cleaner on rag, rubbed like crazy.don't spray on the frame unless your braver than me.you don't want to soak the frame paint.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Like dissolves like.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd be careful of those straps rubbing on the body. I'd put a soft cloth or something between them. It's amazing what driving 75 mph and vinyl straps can do to body work.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Before using a solvent, I'd try something like S100, Simple Green or Greased Lightning. Spray some on an old tooth brush, rub lightly then washoff with water from a watering can. Avoid the tempation to brush your teeth with that brush again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have some Simple Green...I'll give that a try. There is varnish on the frame so I'll definitely be avoiding brake cleaner!

And there were protective cloths between the straps and body...I removed them and loosened the straps up when I got home so the suspension wasn't sitting there compressed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used some aluminum wheel cleaner with some old toothbrushes., that seemed to work pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts