Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was raining today so no ride

Had a spare MTS1200 muffler I bought on e-bay for this little project, took about three hours.

1. Cut a panel out of the bottom of the muffler

2. Cut a panel out of the top of the muffler
3. Drill some holes in the CAT material, this will stuff your drill bit as the CAT will heat up and dull/melt the bit end

4. Once you make the CAT material loosen up just use a cold chisel and drive the material out the bottom to leave the bare 3" hole from top chamber to bottom chamber - I also cut the CAT tube down as much as I can to aid gas flow.

5. This is what comes out

6. In the top chamber where the gasses flow through a sound panel and then out the tailpipe I enlarge the small sound panel hole

7. All ready to weld back up - Off to the experts for the stainless steel weld up job.

I also removed the exhaust butterfly valve by grinding the two little screws off, remove the flap and leave the shaft/spring there so I can refit the cable and no error code

Sound wise I now have a much nicer idle sound -like a Ducati,.. and a bit of a grown on power but still OK at cruising speed - Very happy

I now have a spare one of these If anyone is interested - cost $250 all done even painted black so the muffler box looks a lot better under the bike.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Looks good. Has anybody done any exhaust O2 measurements after one of these cat-hack jobs? I'd be interested to know whether it runs any leaner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
results?

Hi guys, just was redirected to this post as I was looking for an "easy" solution to getting a mid pipe, ecu, etc, etc.

Looks like exactly what I wanted to do, but what are the long term results?

does not seem like alot of people have done this?

I have a 2014 and was looking to just add a little more rumble/tumble, but not wanting to change out the stock pipes, etc.

thanks,
ant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
cat hole?

So looking at the pictures, once you clear out the cat baffles, whatever they're called, is there a hole left behind?

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
Is there a reason you didn't just buy something on the order of a cheap Danmoto link pipe on ebay rather than the spare cat?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Is there a reason you didn't just buy something on the order of a cheap Danmoto link pipe on ebay rather than the spare cat?
I was thinking the same thing. Though I appreciate the effort put into the project. And I was curious what was in there anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Though I appreciate the effort put into the project. And I was curious what was in there anyway.
I am actually on the same path. thought process for me is. I don't want to have to pay more for a new pipe if just "cleaning" out the stock muffler could give a bit more sound.

I like the look of the stock exhaust tips

I don't want to have to remove any flapper, or mess around with error codes

I am being cheap, and would like to just get a little more sound.

I created another post and having a fellow member send me an unused cat. I will go through all the steps and document it for everyone to show what impact, if any, was found.

thanks,
ant.

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
I am actually on the same path. thought process for me is. I don't want to have to pay more for a new pipe if just "cleaning" out the stock muffler could give a bit more sound.

I created another post and having a fellow member send me an unused cat. I will go through all the steps and document it for everyone to show what impact, if any, was found.

thanks,
ant.
Understand, but if you don't like it you are out the price of a cat. Plus, if you ever sell, you deny the next guy the ability to take it back to legal, which is a real consideration in much of the EU and most western US states. Plus :)D) you should be able to use the stock stinger with any decent link pipe. Plus, they all have a hole for the O2 sensor. Plus :)D:D)will the exhaust flapper do a remotely proper job once you have gutted the cat? That's a serious question as I don't know

It just seems like a link pipe is the sensible solution if you're experimenting, especially when they're so cheap. There's no going back once that cat has be dewat-ed.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Understand, but if you don't like it you are out the price of a cat. Plus, if you ever sell, you deny the next guy the ability to take it back to legal, which is a real consideration in much of the EU and most western US states.

There's no going back once that cat has be dewat-ed.
One can always get a spare used cat off Ebay or maybe the For Sale Forum, for significantly less than buying an aftermarket link pipe. What's to say you can't return it to stock using this spare part if the mod didn't turn out like you thought it would, or you plan on selling the bike? :think:

·
Registered
59 Posts
One can always get a spare used cat off Ebay or maybe the For Sale Forum, for significantly less than buying an aftermarket link pipe. What's to say you can't return it to stock using this spare part if the mod didn't turn out like you thought it would, or you plan on selling the bike? :think:
exactly what i am doing. I can't imagine how many spare stock cats are out there with so many people updating their exhausts!

so I put up a posting and actually already received a couple people willing to send their unused stock cat to me for the price of shipping.

this way if it does not work as I expected, I'll put my stock one back on and no harm, no foul.

but also, I will document the process, trying to make this as clean as possible. may have to take the cat on and off a few times to get the sound right. I don't want to totally gut it if possible.. small steps.. once you gut it you can't go back..

thanks,
ant.

·
Registered
286 Posts

thanks,
ant.
Please keep us informed. If you have created a new thread, please share.

This video might come in handy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
great video

Thanks for that. very helpful for sure.

sounds like an italian music soundtrack on that.. would like to get in touch with the person that did the mod, looks very clean.

thanks again, I will create a new thread once I get going.

ant.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's my version. I cut 1 hole in the top and the cut around the cat to take it out in 1 piece. Used a hand grinder with cutting wheel. Very happy with the sound. Not too loud like the LeoVince pipe, but louder than stock and sounds like a Ducati now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Danmoto decat pipe runs about $210.....but then you need a slip on with a db killer.. The stock end pipe has no db killer. So, you modded the cat where it still eats some of the sound and allows you to use the stock end pipe? Stealthy and cheap...heck you could splurge for carbon fiber covers for the stock end pipes. Nicely done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts