Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to take rear shocks off on my GT1000. Main purpose is to remove the saddle bag mounts. And maybe change the springs to yellow (ohlins).

How should the bike be when removing? Have a rear stand but do i need to support anything else? Is it as easy as putting on rear stand loosening bolts and taking off?

If i took just the mounts off can that be done without removing the whole shock? Thanks

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It’s been a while since I did this, but It’s pretty easy to remove the rack. Place your rear stand in place, then remove all the fasteners you can. Under seat, Allen bolts, etc. No need to remove shocks entirely. Lift the frame to unload the suspension and you can get the top shock bolt out, one side at a time. Pay attention to the spacer sequence on the big black triangle and DON’T lose the aluminum spacer. Ducati doesn’t sell them!?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
this question was answered on this forum not long ago

secure your front wheel and the bike from tipping to either side
use a car jack and place at the back of the engine
loosen the bolt first
then jack it up
remove the bolts
remove the shock

you are done

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking of having springs replaced with yellow ones. Whats going to happen when i take both shocks of the GT? Rear wheel is off the ground with a pit-bull stand. How much movement does the swing arm make? Will the bike just sit there?

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,320 Posts
Thinking of having springs replaced with yellow ones. Whats going to happen when i take both shocks of the GT? Rear wheel is off the ground with a pit-bull stand. How much movement does the swing arm make? Will the bike just sit there?
If your pit-bull stand is holding the swingarm you need to find another way to lift the bike so that the suspension is unloaded.

You can either lift the frame with tie-downs hanging from a fixing point on your garage ceiling, or you can use a car jack beneath the engine to lift it.

Do one shock at a time to prevent it from bottoming if something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
If your pit-bull stand is holding the swingarm you need to find another way to lift the bike so that the suspension is unloaded.

You can either lift the frame with tie-downs hanging from a fixing point on your garage ceiling, or you can use a car jack beneath the engine to lift it.

Do one shock at a time to prevent it from bottoming if something goes wrong.
on some bikes you can flip the foot pegs upside down and put them on regular old jackstands.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts