Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First getting huge sockets from Harbor Freight. I looked in old forum and a member recommended this. It has everything but the adapter so I can use my 1/2 torque wrench. So Harbor Freight also has the adapter in a set of adapaters for less than $10 currently. Based on Mark's old HOW articles I think these are the only strange tools I'll need to remove my wheels for the first time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5494

·
Registered
709 Posts
axle drift for the front. if you don't regularly remove your wheels and grease your axle, it's not going to just "pull out".

I have a machine shop next door, so they made one for me...but nichols sells one that looks like it should do the job [they make it out of plastic/composite for a reason... it is designed not to damage your axle when you drive it out.]

I keep a few tapered 5mm wood shims I made, to wedge between the pads in the calipers.

They serve two purposes:

1] They spread the pads a bit, making getting the calipers back on/lined up a little easier.

2] If someone walking past your bike accidentally bumps your brake lever, the pucks won't come out of their bores[ruining your day]

remember to pump up your brakes before you head out [repeat that until memorized...i have seem many racers forget]

if i can find your address on my computer. i'll send you a set

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
blade625CT said:
axle drift for the front. if you don't regularly remove your wheels and grease your axle, it's not going to just "pull out".
You can also make an axle drift out of a broom handle! Last time I removed my front wheel, I didn't have anything handy. I just sawed off about 4" off the top of my wooden broom handle. Worked a charm. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the former owner changed my tires himself before I bought the bike in early 2005. They haven't been off since then. So at least they've been off in the past year.

So maybe a broom handle? Should I "whack" at the axle with it to get it out.

One thing I remember when trying to take out my front pads is it being tough to even get the front calipers off because of clearance issues.Meaning the calipers hit the wheel before they can get past the rotor. What's the trick to this? I watched Donnie Unger take off one of the calipers in front of me but didn't think to watch close enough or ask at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
grendels_arm said:
So maybe a broom handle? Should I "whack" at the axle with it to get it out.
That's what I did! The piece of broom handle I cut was almost exactly the same diameter as the axle. I just lined the end up with the axle and tapped it out with a mallet.

grendels_arm said:
One thing I remember when trying to take out my front pads is it being tough to even get the front calipers off because of clearance issues.Meaning the calipers hit the wheel before they can get past the rotor. What's the trick to this? I watched Donnie Unger take off one of the calipers in front of me but didn't think to watch close enough or ask at the time.
It is tight, but they will slip off and squeeze past the wheel rim if you open out the pistons a little. Last time I did this I just used the brake disk itself to apply a little pressure on the brake pads by twisting the calipers gently. Just enough to open out the brake pads a little to give me wiggle room.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I use a deepwell socket that is about the same size as the axle, but just small enough to get in the fork and tap it out. Actually I loosen the nut to the last few threads and then tap it back to the fork, then use the socket method.
Also take the cap off of the brake resavore (sp) before you back the pads out. The whole process is really much easier than you would expect.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
+1 on the deep socket. Thats what I use, works like a charm!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the big sockets in that Harbor Freight kit for $40 today. Man the box of sockets is heavy. Plus I got adapters to go from 3/4 to 1/2 and all kinds of other ways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.