Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone walk me through removing the Gas Tank. I am planning on giving my bike an EXTREME cleaning. Might be a good post for people in the future looking to do the same. By the way this is my first post on the site. Truly enjoy reading everyone's comments. Have learned a lot from you guys. I soon will be doing a complete cosmetic overhaul on the bike, you guys are going to flip when the bike gets done. I promise you, you will have never seen paint like this! :abduct:

Thanks!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Which bike do you have? That one on your Avatar?
I don't know how to do that 'coz I haven't seen one, but If I have I'm sure it's very simple. You just gotta look around. That's pretty much how I did mine. I didn't have to empty the tank. Matter of fact it was near full. You might have to do yours, not sure. Check on that.

Look here if you have the same bike model.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1- remove rear body work
2- remove the bolt under the seat.
3- pull the seat/ tank back toward the rear of the bike
4- disconnect the fuel pump electrics and fuel lines.

PS- it helps if the tank is not full. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes its a 03 999. Just about out of Gas...take it for a hard run and it will be gone. Lets see how it goes...

·
Registered
857 Posts
http://duc.nu/manuals/

tips: use a block of wood under the tank when you're trying to remove the seat, fuel lines etc., There will be spillage from the lines, even if the tank is empty. Put some towels around. DO NOT leave the key in the ignition while playing with the tank, you might accidentally break it while lifting the tank up (don't ask me how I knew this :D)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
the only fuel that spills is in the lines (less than an ounce).the style of fuel pump will not let gas flow out even if the tank is full.the tank,seat and rear fairing all coomes off as a unit.early bikes often have a common screw type fuel line clamp.others have the plastic coupler that you need to be gentle with.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Blue painters tape.....tape the frame off to prevent a nick....watch pulling the tank/seat/cowling off, if you lift up too far you can damage the key guard if you have a CF.:eek: The guard will hit the ignition cover(is this CF also?). But just use the tape or a well placed beach towel or t-shirt to prevent a nick. Squirt a little WD40 in the rubber gromments that accept the tank pins will help the tank just slide off..and a buddy to help!:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts