Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need to install my timing belt cover for my 2006 749 s. Alas the thing doesnt just slide out and replace. It is clear to me that I have to move the fuel tank in order to pull it through the top. I am mechanically inclined but only to a degree. I can change clutch covers, do oil changes and replace levers (that sort of thing) but I am not confident in doing extensive repairs. The reason why I bring this up is because this really doesnt look too complex. It looks like I remove the seat and undo a couple of bolts and the tank should come right off. Could someone who has first hand knowledge give me a run through? Is the tank hinged in the front? Any help is much appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
444 Posts
you can slide the tail section, seat and tank off as a unit. going by memory, undo the bolts holding the tail section and seat to the subframe. slide the whole thing back a little and prop it up. undo the fuel lines underneath the tank. then slide the whole thing back and the two prongs in the front of the tank come out of the frame.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
If you want an excellent tutorial on this, complete with pictures, go to the Hall of Wisdom under 749/999 Removing/swapping/inspection/fuel tank etc. It was done by Migz123 and its on the second page about 14 or 15 posts down.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
You don't have to remove the fuel tank/seat/tail assembly to do this.

You do have to unfasten it at the seat (2 horizontal bolts in from the sides, into the seat moulding, and 2 vertical bolts at the back of the seat into the subframe tabs)

If you then lift the seat, the tail plastic and tank will all pivot upward on the front rubber mounts of the fuel tank. Place a rolled up towel between the vertical cylinder's head and the bottom of the rear of the tank to keep the assembly up and out of the way.

Remove the belt cover fasteners and remove the crankcase breather pipe from the crank case vent tube and pull the pipe forward enough to get it out of the way of the belt cover.

Work the belt cover slightly upward, but mostly backward and it will slip behind the vertical cylinder and then up and out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts