Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install a set of Race Tech springs, but can't seem to get the fork caps to break loose. I have loosened the upper triple clamp bolt and I'm using a pin wrench, that others have used, but it doesn't want to let go, anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yeah- mine were on tight ehough that I'm not sure a 2 pin wrench would have done it. I made my own 4 pin wrench carved out of 3/8" aluminum plate and 4 solid steel dowels pressed in. I think there was a forum member who made a few for sale...but that was a long time ago. Seems like I saw a tool on eBaY also.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I did finally manage to get them loose, used a dead blow hammer to tap the caps then used the pin wrench. I think it's time for someone to come up with a tool such as DP's to make this job easier. Getting the caps off was the hardest part of changing the springs.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Thanks for the input, I did finally manage to get them loose, used a dead blow hammer to tap the caps then used the pin wrench. I think it's time for someone to come up with a tool such as DP's to make this job easier. Getting the caps off was the hardest part of changing the springs.
Did you change fork oil too?

How did you handle it?

I am asking because i never worked on USD forks… only conventional ones.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you change fork oil too?

How did you handle it?

I am asking because i never worked on USD forks… only conventional ones.
Yes, I changed to a lighter 5 weight oil and Race Tech springs that are correct for my weight. The change is pretty straight forward once you remove the fork caps. Remove springs, drain the oil then pump the fork leg to get make sure you have it all out. I used 120mm of oil, installed new springs and spacers put the caps back on and reinstalled the forks. I'm getting ready to check the sag to see if I need any to add any spacers then its time for a test ride once the rain stops.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Yes, I changed to a lighter 5 weight oil and Race Tech springs that are correct for my weight. The change is pretty straight forward once you remove the fork caps. Remove springs, drain the oil then pump the fork leg to get make sure you have it all out. I used 120mm of oil, installed new springs and spacers put the caps back on and reinstalled the forks. I'm getting ready to check the sag to see if I need any to add any spacers then its time for a test ride once the rain stops.
I have ordered a set of Hyperpro progressive springs + oil… the spring rate starts at 8 and goes till 13… the oil they recommend is SAE 15.

I am wondering why everybody talks about adding lighter fork oil, whereas the hyperpro guys are providing heavy oil for their springs.

Did you get a recommendation for oil from Race Tech?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have ordered a set of Hyperpro progressive springs + oil… the spring rate starts at 8 and goes till 13… the oil they recommend is SAE 15.

I am wondering why everybody talks about adding lighter fork oil, whereas the hyperpro guys are providing heavy oil for their springs.

Did you get a recommendation for oil from Race Tech?
Yes, Nick at Cogent Dynamics set me up with the Race Tech springs and the 5 weight oil was his recommendation, the Race Tech springs are not a progressive spring that may have something to do with differences oil weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts