Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have instructions how to remove the engine it looks easy but are there any quirky parts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have done several SV engines. Normally just start at the top disconnecting wire harness plugs, spark plugs, airbox, throttle bodies etc. You would have to remove the front sprocket and get the chain off the counter shaft, remove the shift rod. You should then be able to remove the motor mount bolts and drop it. I have a jack that I put under the motor and lower it down. You may need some special tools..on the Suzuki you need a special motor mount socket to remove the assanine motor mount lock nuts that dont even need to go back on.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Its very easy on Supersports. A mate and I did mine and it only took two beers each before we were left wondering what to do with the rest of the night, well at least we still had the best part of a carton of beer left. Mines carb'd but I wouldn't imagine that would make much difference just a couple of sensors, I left my carb's in place and undid the manifolds. I can't recall any hassles its pretty painless, we had the engine sitting on a jack and after it was undone just lifted the frame up and away.

At this stage I wasn't sure if I still had a bike or whether all I had was bike parts ...

·
Registered
300 Posts
It really wasn't that hard. I used the EZ-riser and when all was disconnected, I hung the frame from the ceiling and lowered the engine. I was able to keep the rear brake and chain in tact. Gotta disconnect the swingarm. I also left the carbs in the frame. Take pictures to refer to if needed for re-install. Haynes was a big help, btw.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The pics above show the final result very well. Basically, the whole back end disappears. Lots of bits to remove and you'll need a suitable sized drift to get the shaft out of the swingarm pivot. Haynes tells the story well enough on a step by step basis. I think it's easiest to suspend the rear frame from the rafters. Then there is nothing to knock over and get in the way.

If you are removing the engine only to gain service access to the rear cylinder, you can just pivot the engine forward on its rear support at the swingarm. Fairly intuitive once you've been told it works.

Tim
'98 900 SS FE (#028)
'96 900 SS/SP (rolling parts bin)
'78 900SS
'74 750 Sport

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you are removing the engine only to gain service access to the rear cylinder, you can just pivot the engine forward on its rear support at the swingarm. Fairly intuitive once you've been told it works.
Tim
Good suggestion. Wish I'd of thought of that.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also always use tape, painters tape for example and put numbers on them to match everything up. I've got familiar with it enough so that it doesn't matter, it just prevents any panic when I am wondering where something goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts