Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there... I'm in the process of a bit of a project track bike. Up until this point I've done most of my own basic maintennace and servicing on my other bikes but want to use this 900 as a means to delve in a bit more.

I've taken off the headlight, brake light, blinkers, horn. So far ive kept the wiring intact in the loom with the plugs etc but will eventually remove them. Should I just cut them somewhere where they are all gathered and wrapped or follow them back to where they start and do it properly? I cant really see this bike ever being back on the road.

Are there any potential issues of removing road going electricals, does it impact on any of the other components? Is there anything I should watch out for or do?

cheers

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I am not good with electrics but found it much simpler and more reliable to make a new wiring harness for the stuff you need, out of larger wire with better terminals. The old stock harness is a marketable item. I bought rolls of wire in the correct colors to keep the stock wiring diagram relevant, but I made a new simplified diagram to use . Just run one wire at a time, plug it in at one end, and leave extra wire so you can route it as you want to.

Reactions: ZADSS

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Use shrink tubing after crimping ( slide it on first ) and wrap the harness when your done for protection. I used split wiring sleeve on some areas.

·
Smut peddler
1,146 Posts
I agree with making your own harness. Chopping up and taping the oe one is kinda hacky, and if you change your mind as much as I do, you'll be glad to have your oe harness on hand to go back to stock. Especially if you want to ever sell it.

Reactions: ZADSS

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
You may not care to make it a street bike again but the next owner might and you might find it easier to re-sell if you have a whole harness to go with it.

That said.... I would make a harness out of a stock harness only for the few items you need. The connectors are the only bit that is important to me as some are hard to source unless you buy in bulk. If you do not care chop up the harness you have, if you do pick up a bad harness from a salvage/ebay bike. Do not pay much as the new harness will be just a few wires, battery to switch then back to the coils,fuel pump and ignition boxes and then your charging system. You do need a ignition switch (toggle , etc) and a start button but not much else. Often a light to make someone aware the bike is on will keep the battery from being drained but on a carby most fuel pumps are loud enough.

There is no problem with a race harness as long as you make it properly and I am a big fan of fuses so do not forget a charging system and main fuse.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I agree with all the experienced comments/advice here.

Whilst I am the Central Coast, I work in Banksmeadow near the airport.

Send me a PM with your mobile (cell phone in some other parts of the world)

The wiring required for the track/not street is fairly simple for a carby model.

Depends I guess if you are going to change handle bar controls/switches for whatever outcome you desire.

Fuses are so important. Same with a readily accessible kill switch.
Your 900 and my EFI 900 do not have a tip over (aka crash sliding unless you are Marquez) switch.

If I was retaining all original controls/switches, I would simply use what works (OEM harness) and tape unused connectors to seal them, then I would not have butchered a desirable item.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey for the replies.

I am not far from Banksmeadow, in Monterey. My bike is actually a 98 900 / injected. I updated my signature but it doesnt show.

I've refrained from butchering the wiring for now and have just tucked things away. For now I think I will just be keeping the stock controls but possibly change things down the line as the project progresses. First thing on my list is suspension, definitely needs a freshen up. I only purchased the bike this week and have been going over it for its first shakedown ride this weekend.

Punch, will you be at the DOC track day at SMSP on sat?

cheers

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Hey for the replies.

I am not far from Banksmeadow, in Monterey. My bike is actually a 98 900 / injected. I updated my signature but it doesnt show.

I've refrained from butchering the wiring for now and have just tucked things away. For now I think I will just be keeping the stock controls but possibly change things down the line as the project progresses. First thing on my list is suspension, definitely needs a freshen up. I only purchased the bike this week and have been going over it for its first shakedown ride this weekend.

Punch, will you be at the DOC track day at SMSP on sat?

cheers
EFI - that is what I am more familiar with.
Wiring - wise decision and you can change things down the track after you get to know the bike.

No I won't be at the track day unless they let me take it around in a trailer.
Clutch is part dismantled as per another thread on choosing a new clutch.

If you are looking for a spare harness to modify, make sure it is for the A0 ECU version. Later 900 used the A8 ECU.
There are ECU pin differences and the most obvious thing is that the A0 models do not have a side/kick stand switch.

I have wiring diagrams etc. for your model and the bin file and XDF for modifying the mapping in the A0 ECU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts