Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the cam pulleys need to be removed in order to remove the cams from a 4v head? I am having trouble removing the cams, I removed the drive side covers and I'm also rotating the cam to clear the rockers but can't quite get enough clearance to clear the opener rocker. What am I missing?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I remove the opening rocker by pulling out the spindle that it rotates about before I pull the camshaft. Some say you can pull the cam without taking out the opening rocker, but for me its easy to pull the rocker first. Once the rockers are gone, the cam slips out the end easily. You can leave the pulley intact.

Mike

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. It is odd that there is no mention of this in the factory manual. In many ways this manual is very vague compared to the factory manuals for my japanese bikes.

Jerry

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jerry, you need to partially pull the rocker pin, and then reach in the valve cover opening and slide the rocker towards the cam pulley with your finger. If you have pulled the rocker pin far enough (about 3/4") then the rocker will slide over far enough to clear the opening shim which provides enough room for the cams to slide out. You may have to slide the cam out about 1/8" to get the rocker to drop. You will also have to rotate the cams to achieve the proper orientation but do not force, they should slide out very easily.

Make sure you ONLY pull the opener pins, the closer pins are difficult to re-install because they are under spring pressure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike are you pullig the rocker shaft from the timing side or drive side of the engine?

Jerry

·
Registered
887 Posts
From the timing side. The opener pins are the two highest on the head.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanhs a lot guys. It is nice to get a quick response to a question. This site is first class!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts