Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I picked up the bike, the painters are difficult to take off and especially difficult to reinstall on the bike. Getting the plastic locking devices to exactly line up with the bike receiving ports can take minutes. Often I have to bang the pannier forward to line the darn holes and locks up.

Any Suggestions?

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Ever since I picked up the bike, the painters are difficult to take off and especially difficult to reinstall on the bike. Getting the plastic locking devices to exactly line up with the bike receiving ports can take minutes. Often I have to bang the pannier forward to line the darn holes and locks up.

Any Suggestions?
a bigger hammer should do the trick

ok , but seriously , sometimes my panniers are easy to fit , sometimes not. I'm not sure there is a "real" reason behind the difficulty i have sometimes. Maybe use some graphite spray in future ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I sprayed some light lube (ProLink) which helped. I do find that it's a 2-stage process,f irst you line them up, then a firm tap on the back of the pannier to seat them.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Yeah I always have to punch them on and off...
Just a little punch, like not too hard, like punching your girlfriend...:mad::eek:
HOOKER SPIT WORKS BUT IT IS EXPENSIVE...

·
Sophomore Member
2,997 Posts
Mine were very difficult when I first purchased the bike. I don't know if I just learned the technique or they loosened up a little bit, but it has gotten substantially easier. I do have a few tips:
1) get some spit on your finger and put it on the rubber pieces
2) make sure you are pushing towards the front of the bike without any angle to either side
3) mine starts with 2 points of contact - the back and the bottom mounting points. Rock the whole pannier up and forward so the the 3rd mounting point is in contact (this one seems to make the biggest difference)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I use vaseline...u need some lube on the rubber. then....practice whe ur not in a rush. They work...just takes a little time and love...like a lot of things on this bike!

·
Registered
386 Posts
At first i found the mounting engineering for the panniers to be ridiculous. But after a while it kind of makes sense. It does take a light knock to get them on and off.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I don't use any lube whatsoever, but it (the mounting points) are kept clean.

Can almost remove with one hand and a little knee.

·
Registered
71 Posts
They need a little bump. If there wasn't a little interference in the fit they'd rattle.

My only annoyance is how little you can get into side panniers before they get difficult to close. Top loaders are making more sense now. :think:

·
Registered
576 Posts
New Multi Owner - Pannier Question

Hi all,

Making the move here from the ST board. The ST was great. 8 years and a lot of fun.

Had the new Mulit (2013 1200S Touring) for a couple days. Yesterday decided to mount the panniers and was afraid I was going to break something. Harder than heck to fit, and even when I though they were where they were supposed to be I had to hold the handle down on the case to lock it in place.

Is that how they are supposed to fit?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
211 Posts
The only tough bit is sliding it onto the rubber, spray wd40 on the rubber first

If they are still hard to slide into place then there is something wrong

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
Once you get the hang of it its quite easy to get them in place, but it takes some"getting used to " time. I use the palm of my hand to bang them into place, which in the beginning feels you will destroy the panniers... :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Does the handle come up whenever you turn the key?

·
Registered
211 Posts
No
Handle has to be lifted and dropped with your hand, you can lock it so it stays up or down, though locking it so it stays up is pointless really

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks - that information was what I needed to push a bit harder. All went into place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
locking it so it stays up is pointless really
Sometimes you don't have a choice. You have to lock it to take the key out, and if you need to take the key out and still carry the pannier, you have to lock it with the handle up. I store mine on a shelf when not in use, so the key comes out and I use the handle to carry it to/from the bike

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
A note on the rubber fittings: some people have lost them over time. I take them off the bracket when the panniers aren't mounted to avoid that possibility.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
A note on the rubber fittings: some people have lost them over time. I take them off the bracket when the panniers aren't mounted to avoid that possibility.
Same here. I put them in the little storage bin in the R fairing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They fall of easily when you don't have a pannier on. And they cost $10 each to replace. I don't know how or why I know this. (Oh wait, I do)

·
British Hooligan
20 Posts
I've found a quick prod with my knee armor works wonders! ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts