Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well since nobody responded, guess I'll ask how important is a clean airbox? pretty high I'm assuming. my bike has 15k on it, and while dismantling it for a thorough cleaning I noticed the inside of the airbox is rather dirty. anyone have any pointers on cleaning the airbox? does it separate into two pieces? All I know is my 996's airbox is a breeze compared to the 1098.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's strange to me that it would be dirty inside. My 999 airbox, which has never been cleaned, has always been pristine inside. The fliters on the other hand were dirty and I cleaned those with Carb cleaner and then sprayed them down with WD40 and let them drain on a rag and puth them back in.

Make sure filters are seated properly there can be no gaps. Any gaps, holes or air leaks changes the way air moves around and the resonance inside the box. It is my understanding that there is quite a bit of engineering that goes into these and small changes can make differences in that can be seen on the Dyno. A finger placed infront of the intake in front of the bike will drop the HP in a measurable way. Likewise, alterations can be made to the box to increase HP as well, but I find those Mods to be cocktail engineering and I'm not convinced..yet.

As far as pulling the airbox apart you can do it with a heat gun to soften the seal between the two halves. When putting it back together you have to ensure a good seal so to get the proper airflow inside the box.

Check the hall of wisdom stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts