Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got what "looks like" gas stains on my engine. They are kind of brownish-yellow. I've tried a bunch of chemicals to remove them without much luck. The engine paint seems to be holding up to my various attempts. brake cleaner, carb cleaner, lacquer thinner, simple green,

Other ideas? I'll try to add a picture of what I'm talking about. thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oil stains that "get-into" the engine paint are normally permenent.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fuel stains can be removed with gasket remover or "aircraft stripper" which is mainly methylene chloride. It will remove the paint, but if you are careful you can remove the fuel stains and not the paint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this exact problem on a Honda Hawk. The fuel had leaked from the petcock on to the rough cast part of the frame. It had been there for years and the previous owner could not get it off. I tried everything I've ever known to get it off with no luck...until. One day I was degreasing the chain and for the hell of it hit the spot with a quick spray of Purple Power. It was gone before I rinsed it off. Pure magic. Be careful though, Purple Power is very strong and can discolor certain metals and paint. I sprayed the fuel stain and hit it with a pressure washer within probably a 15 second window.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi i_m_jon,

I have the exact same problem; a fuel tank leakage kept pouring petrol on top of my engine and as it trickled down it left a brownish stain.

I have tried a lot of stuff to no avail so I'm really interested in this Purple Power you're mentioning in your reply if it's actually capable of removing such stains.

I did an internet search and found this. Is this the stuff you were using?

If so, did you use the Purple Power regular/original formula or the Purple Power Ultra?

I'm asking because the website actually says not to use the Purple Power regular on metals.

Thanks!
I had this exact problem on a Honda Hawk. The fuel had leaked from the petcock on to the rough cast part of the frame. It had been there for years and the previous owner could not get it off. I tried everything I've ever known to get it off with no luck...until. One day I was degreasing the chain and for the hell of it hit the spot with a quick spray of Purple Power. It was gone before I rinsed it off. Pure magic. Be careful though, Purple Power is very strong and can discolor certain metals and paint. I sprayed the fuel stain and hit it with a pressure washer within probably a 15 second window.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Try a product called Meguiars "Scratch X" it's a paint cleaner/light chemical compound that won't remove paint. I've use it on my 999 engine cases for stains such as this. It's simple and effective-if it doesn't work go to a more aggressive cleaner like Purple Power.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Purple Power to Clean Chains?

Purple Power made by the Aiken Chemical Company contains Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether.

http://www.clean-rite.com/documents/PurplepowerMSDS.pdf

Motorcycle chain o-rings are made from Buna-N that has marginal compatibility for use with Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether.

http://www.marcorubber.com/compatibility.htm

According to its website the original formula should not be used on metals, only glass and ceramics.

So why are you using it to clean your chain?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Purple Power made by the Aiken Chemical Company contains Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether.

http://www.clean-rite.com/documents/PurplepowerMSDS.pdf

Motorcycle chain o-rings are made from Buna-N that has marginal compatibility for use with Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether.

http://www.marcorubber.com/compatibility.htm

According to its website the original formula should not be used on metals, only glass and ceramics.

So why are you using it to clean your chain?
I thought they were dicussing the brown stains on their engine cases caused by gas or chain lube spray.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZDM, I'll give it a try. Haven't seen purple power around to try that...
Gas, goop, don't work. Carb/fuel injector cleaner showed some hope but seems hard on the paint

·
Registered
94 Posts
ZDM, I'll give it a try. Haven't seen purple power around to try that...
Gas, goop, don't work. Carb/fuel injector cleaner showed some hope but seems hard on the paint
I know you said "gas... don't work". This same stain used to occur on the Dell'Orto carbs of early models, and would come off if soaked with fuel for a period of time. It makes sense that the solvent which brought the stain originally will also dissolve it. Of course care needs to be taken on those surfaces which are painted, as the fuel will break down the paint, but if they are covered and judicious applications of fuel are repeated, stains will eventually fade. Worth a try! ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks, ZDM!

I'll try Meguiar's Scratch X and let you all know how it went.
Try a product called Meguiars "Scratch X" it's a paint cleaner/light chemical compound that won't remove paint. I've use it on my 999 engine cases for stains such as this. It's simple and effective-if it doesn't work go to a more aggressive cleaner like Purple Power.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I received a bottle of Scratch X in the mail today and tried it on the stains on my engine and just like Dan Q said, it didn't work.

Not only does it fail to remove the discolouration but it left visible scratch marks on my engine cover :mad:

Do NOT use Scratch X if you're trying to remove petrol stains on your engine covers!

It's clearly not the right product :(

I'll try to get hold of some Purple Power and report back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts