Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new PP and want to remove all the frame stickers. The last time I removed from my 010 I pulled some paint off the frame by just peeling the sticker. How have others done this?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I took off most of them

Flet I should leave the one on with the Vin stuff. PITA to get off. I still have work to do. I dont see what any paint has come off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but I imagine a heat gun will soften the glue enough to remove the stickers easily.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just did this Tuesday. Heat gun on high for 20-30 seconds and get a corner up and work across lengthwise with your fingernail until you can peel it off. Use a citrus based adhesive remover (3M, Goo-B-Gone) to remove any residue, no chance of paint damage. Some states (CA) require these be attached to the bike so I re-attached them in the trunk pan under the seat. I'll take a picture in the AM. The bike looks 100% better without that crap covering every spar.

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
Or make it really really messy..
The stickers have holes cut into them I have not been able to take them off in one piece...
Grow you fingernails and get a guitar pick...

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
Whoever applied mine was thoughtful (or lazy) and left them with the edges up so they came off easily. I lined the inside of the glove box under the seat with them in case they are important to reference.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you live in California, do not remove the sticker that states compliance with the emission regs or you may be sorry later when you try to sell it. Ducati, used to put a second one of those under the seat in case you wanted to remove the frame sticker, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Oops in California

If you live in California, do not remove the sticker that states compliance with the emission regs or you may be sorry later when you try to sell it. Ducati, used to put a second one of those under the seat in case you wanted to remove the frame sticker, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore.

Peels mine off and they did not come off in one piece. They are gone.
Guess I cant sell it now :think:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have a new PP and want to remove all the frame stickers. The last time I removed from my 010 I pulled some paint off the frame by just peeling the sticker. How have others done this?
Silverthump, I see you are now on MS #2. I take it that you like the bike???

·
Registered
190 Posts
After a nice morning ride, I left it parked in the sun on a HOT day for an hour and they peeled off fairly easily. Cleaned excess glue with goof-off.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Been a long time since I sold a motorcycle in CA - how would a missing emissions compliance sticker ever come up? Turns out I did take mine off and I did retain it, but it's not quite readable.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I was warned not to take the stickers off due to different states, namely CA requiring them for registration. It was suggested to use red 3M vinyl wrap instead to cover the stickers. Anyone know if this will work well, or would it end up removing the stickers any way upon removing the vinyl? Also, does anyone know of a "Ducati Red" vinyl?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
986 Posts
I was warned not to take the stickers off due to different states, namely CA requiring them for registration. It was suggested to use red 3M vinyl wrap instead to cover the stickers. Anyone know if this will work well, or would it end up removing the stickers any way upon removing the vinyl? Also, does anyone know of a "Ducati Red" vinyl?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Pull them....you'll be fine

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I do love this forum...all new things to learn.
So how many more horses does removing the frame stickers give us? Or does the new SCU work even better with them off??

·
Registered
186 Posts
I pulled the stickers off because they detract from the beautiful frame and lines of the bike. For the few important stickers I pull them off and stick them in the underseat compartment where they are readable and hidden.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hair dryer on high, hold it on a corner for about a minute then start to peel the corner up. Once it starts lifting point the hair dryer between the frame and the under side of the sticker to dry the glue as you pull the sticker off.

All of mine came off easy this way and are in one piece. I reapplied them to the storage compartment under the seat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just did this Tuesday. Heat gun on high for 20-30 seconds and get a corner up and work across lengthwise with your fingernail until you can peel it off. Use a citrus based adhesive remover (3M, Goo-B-Gone) to remove any residue, no chance of paint damage. Some states (CA) require these be attached to the bike so I re-attached them in the trunk pan under the seat. I'll take a picture in the AM. The bike looks 100% better without that crap covering every spar.
+!:) The heat gun then the NON corrosive solvent to clean up the mess. I also repositioned them under the seat. It's all good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts