Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on pulling the heads off my 2002 ST4s motor and am a bit stumped by the fixed belt roller pins/posts. The adjustable roller pins came off without complaint but the posts for the fixed rollers are putting up a fight. I put a 1/2" electric impact on there and they didn't budge at all. Before I broke something, I figured I'd consult the wisdom of others in case I'm missing something here!

It looks like there's a small hex or allen inside of the post? Not sure if I need to do anything with those before I can get the posts off. Otherwise maybe it's all that high quality Italian threadlocker on there...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
it's only an m8 bolt, so don't get too medieval. probably loctited and most likely corroded in. i'd be getting some heat in there.

not sure on the planes of the faces or what else might obstruct at the bottom, but if you pulled the cams and end plate could you rotate the plate a little as you try to undo? this can often help if friction between the bolt head and plate is the issue.

i seem to recall i had like this recently, to the point of getting the big breaker bar, closing eyes and pulling.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll pick up a small torch tonight and heat it up a bit and see if it comes loose. Looks like interference on the bottom of the cover that would keep it from rotating even if I pulled the cam covers off.
Projects like this always go slower than one plans for!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
VADuc, did you get it loosened? Heat and torque?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VADuc, did you get it loosened? Heat and torque?

Not yet, a ski trip to Denver is getting in the way. Plan on attacking tomorrow evening!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success! Took gobs of heat and the 1/2" impact but they finally broke free. Whew. Now onto more fun. Guess I'll throw a wrench on the head bolts and see how those come off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Be careful putting that back in. Only use an Allen key and do not torque more than 18lbs. I broke one in the head and had to drill and easy out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful putting that back in. Only use an Allen key and do not torque more than 18lbs. I broke one in the head and had to drill and easy out.
Thanks for the tip. This project has already taken way longer than I planned due to life getting in the way, I'd like to avoid breaking anything off while putting this all back together!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Keep the focus on how good it feels to jump on the Duck and run for 3 or four days out. Luck friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts