Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a shim kit installed by the dealer and I asked how much it would be to install a termi exhaust at the same time...no ECU switch or remapping or TPS reset...just remove old exhaust and install new one...$342...ouch

Is removing the header(s) a big deal? Just four bolts..right?

Am I missing something? Is the job more labor intensive than I know:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was that a quote with our without installing the shim kit?
When I wrapped my headers, four bolts into the exhaust manifolds and then the other misc. clamps for the pipes. But that was it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Getting a shim kit installed by the dealer and I asked how much it would be to install a termi exhaust at the same time...no ECU switch or remapping or TPS reset...just remove old exhaust and install new one...$342...ouch

I'm relatively new to biking so I can't add to much input. However, my boss has been riding for 25+ years both professional and recreational. He said installing a clip on exhaust is extremely easy and that it's called a "slip on" for that reason. There's nothing complicated about pulling one pipe out and sliding a new one in...

Replacing a full system is like 3-4 hours shop time if I remember correctly. You sure they quoted right?

But I'm no expert.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Remove and re-fit cans and headers-1hour-if any one took 3-4 hrs I reckon they would have enough time for 5 cups of coffee and a wank as well as doing the exhaust-would you be happy paying for all that?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
It's one of those jobs that can either be easy as pie, or a little frustrating. Exhaust studs and nuts rust and seize. You can end up spinning the stud out of the head rather than the nut coming off (no big deal if you are careful). More problematically, sometimes the studs don't line up perfectly with the flanges on the new exhaust, so then you are into all types of farting around to get it to work. In fact, you can have poor alignment anywhere, leading to leaks and a bit of fiddling to get it right.

Not saying it is rocket science, just saying that exhausts tend to be a bit more finicky than other "bolt on" mods. To say it is "just four bolts" is not really capturing what is (or can be ) involved.

On the other hand, if you are talking about a slip on where the headers aren't being removed, then yeah - 30-minute job if you stop to "have a wank" as our Australian comrade puts it.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts

Is it a full system? Seems a bit high. Slip on (just cans)? Then it's ridiculous. Figure ~$100/hr for shop time at a Duc dealer in the OC. 3+ hours to install exhaust sounds too much. Termis require an ECU and TPS reset though, so maybe that install is included. Still seems high.

Slip on exhaust is easy: pull the old can off, put the new one on. Just loosen the clamp and the bolt holding it to the frame. Doing a full system is a bit trickier, but really it's just undoing a few more fasteners and disconnecting the lambda sensor under the seat. Be sure and pick up 2 new exhaust gaskets if you go that route, and if they are really corroded you can get 4 new copper nuts for the point where you attach to the header. Dealer should have all those in stock, and it'll be like $10 for the lot.

·
Registered
364 Posts
On the other hand, if you are talking about a slip on where the headers aren't being removed, then yeah - 30-minute job if you stop to "have a wank" as our Australian comrade puts it.

It depends who your having a "wank" with :)

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
dealer charged me 1 hour to put on a full staintunes set...$340 is a lot, so you may want to ask them why so much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow-Up

Great success installing the header(s) and Slip-Ons last night....I removed full exhaust from (2) bikes and re-installed full exhaust on both bikes in about 2.5 hours...I took my time and thank you to this website as the mention to get Gaskets was very useful and allowed me to pick up the parts and complete the job in one night...versus having to make a parts run!!!

Sport Classics are so easy to work on...gotta love the naked bikes for maintanence and installation projects...:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dude swing by my garage I'll do it for you for free while we shoot the shit about fast bikes and naked girls !! :D

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
:yeah:

Great success installing the header(s) and Slip-Ons last night....I removed full exhaust from (2) bikes and re-installed full exhaust on both bikes in about 2.5 hours...I took my time and thank you to this website as the mention to get Gaskets was very useful and allowed me to pick up the parts and complete the job in one night...versus having to make a parts run!!!

Sport Classics are so easy to work on...gotta love the naked bikes for maintanence and installation projects...:)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
remove and re-fit cans and headers-1hour-if any one took 3-4 hrs i reckon they would have enough time for 5 cups of coffee and a wank as well as doing the exhaust-would you be happy paying for all that?
+1

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but that's *really* not something one does with company present. :eek: :p

Hoping to have my new full system delivered this week...thanks for the info here, folks...
No "circle jerkin" down under.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts