Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as per the attached picture, is the pillion hand rail or luggage anchor removable or has the owner of this spunky bike done a cut and shut job?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I would guess that he did a custom tail job on that sucker. It looks great but I'd never give up storage options.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
as per the attached picture, is the pillion hand rail or luggage anchor removable or has the owner of this spunky bike done a cut and shut job?
LaRossa's was hacked off. I did the same. Then I made a solo seat and bracket that bolts on under the seat so I can still carry a top case for the rare occasion I need the extra capacity. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks mate..

Now thats a different set of pipes.. make sure you upload a sound file once all completed.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would have this done in a flash if I knew a place who could do as good a job as shown here.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I would have this done in a flash if I knew a place who could do as good a job as shown here.

Dan
Your right LaRossa does beautiful work, all his project photos show excellent build quality!
But, you can still easily remove the rack, it's just plastic. In fact if you look in my photo, mine is not painted at all, just finish the plastic smoothed when your done, no need to paint if you wish to keep the standard black finish. You just need a saw and sandpaper. (I admit to being scared, first I bought a luggage rack off EBAY, before I started carving mine up just in case):rolleyes:

AllaHat...FYI My photo was early in the mock up of a full Titanium system, sometime soon I may get time to finish the $#@^ welding :mad: and post a finished picture and sound clip.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Thanks fellas!
Yes, I have no use for side panniers nor a top case so I figured it was useless in my case, the hand rails as TiDuc said come off easily and get sanded just as easy, the plastic is great to work with. On those days that I need the extra space I purchased an extra seat off Ebay and bolted a Axio tail bag to it so it's there if needed, any more space than that and I'll use the truck instead.

Attachments

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
Very nicely done LaRossa!!! I think you've inspired me to tackle this mod.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I suppose a ventura rack system could still be bolted on from underneath?
If so this mod is for me. We use the Ventura and don't like the top case nor
side paniers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LaRossa,

I really admire your work, I have a few photos on my laptop of your boar... haha, your definitely pioneering the way to get an MTS to present very, very well!

I plan to make a carbon heel guard for my MTS once I receive and fit the Arrow 3/4 system, I've never done any carbon work before but do know they sell small kits for DIY jobs. Have you any suggestions on kits or maybe even a tip or two when DIYing carbon jobs please?

Did you also make the carbon tail that replaced the pillion seat?

Thanks, AL.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
LaRossa,

I really admire your work, I have a few photos on my laptop of your boar... haha, your definitely pioneering the way to get an MTS to present very, very well!

I plan to make a carbon heel guard for my MTS once I receive and fit the Arrow 3/4 system, I've never done any carbon work before but do know they sell small kits for DIY jobs. Have you any suggestions on kits or maybe even a tip or two when DIYing carbon jobs please?

Did you also make the carbon tail that replaced the pillion seat?

Thanks, AL.
Thanks! even though the boar's snout is not everyone's cup of tea!

The tail piece is fiberglass topped with C/F, I don't have all those fancy vacuum bagging and all process set ups, mine is strictly garage lay, let it dry, sand and recoat process, sometimes I make a mould out of aluminum that is easy to work with then lay the first coat of 'glass, after that I ditch the mould and start working with the first skin.
For the exhaust shield, same thing, I made a form with aluminum but I layed all carbon there in stages, sanding, grinding and relaying until it worked.
It's all getting the hang of it, worst it could happen I throw it out and refit the original, big deal!
Cheers!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Different likes...but I'd personally never do that. My pillion likes the option of holding the rails, and we both like the option of the top case, either for extra cargo or to keep her from flying off the back when I bolt from a traffic light.

My guess is you also hurt your resale prospects. You not only need to find someone who wants an MTS, but also someone who wants an MTS with no rails and a perhaps a jury-rigged topbox set up.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks! even though the boar's snout is not everyone's cup of tea!

The tail piece is fiberglass topped with C/F, I don't have all those fancy vacuum bagging and all process set ups, mine is strictly garage lay, let it dry, sand and recoat process, sometimes I make a mould out of aluminum that is easy to work with then lay the first coat of 'glass, after that I ditch the mould and start working with the first skin.
For the exhaust shield, same thing, I made a form with aluminum but I layed all carbon there in stages, sanding, grinding and relaying until it worked.
It's all getting the hang of it, worst it could happen I throw it out and refit the original, big deal!
Cheers!
Mauro

If you lived near me I'd have the bike in your garage and pay you the price you felt the job described was worth.

Different likes...but I'd personally never do that. My pillion likes the option of holding the rails, and we both like the option of the top case, either for extra cargo or to keep her from flying off the back when I bolt from a traffic light.

My guess is you also hurt your resale prospects. You not only need to find someone who wants an MTS, but also someone who wants an MTS with no rails and a perhaps a jury-rigged topbox set up.
Paul

This would probably cut any resale value in half.

I don't own a bike to resell. I might even paint the thing fluorescent olive drab with black Ducati fonts.

Someone would buy it if they could save a few thousand in the process.

Life is short.

Dan

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
I don't think I've ever done anything to a car or bike and in the back of my mind, thought of the resale value. I'm pretty sure something I've done on my bike or maybe even the entire looks of the thing, are a turnoff to some.

I have seen a lot of beautiful bikes on this forum. And when I saw a few that weren't my style I always stayed positive. Anything with two wheels is sweet in my eyes. :D

·
Registered
3,861 Posts

Paulie Paulie Paulie......
I see how you think and I respect that but IMO it wouldn't hurt if you decided to think outside the box if I may say so.
If I was to buy a bike and expect to make money on resale or even brake even, I wouldn't bother, I'm well aware the loss of $ especially on a modified bike but to me that's what custom is all about, making it your own no matter what people think, If I was to show you half of the sh*t I did to cars and bikes over the years I'm sure your skin would crawl but I love what I do and do what I like so to me when I'm done with a bike and sell it for half of what I have into it I don't take that as a loss but as an experience, what I've learned from it and what I'm capable of doing to the next, fu*k the $!
One day I'll be sitting on a chair with who knows with what desease and think of what I would have loved to do and never did, that scares me!
The pillion seat, the handle rack and everything else can be purchased separately so worse comes to worse I'd get another one, beag deal!
Maybe I'm sick in the head, who knows, but that keeps me away from a whole mess of things that people do when have no hobbies so to me I'd rather be this sick than be considered normal with no interests!
Cheers brother!
;)

·
Registered
190 Posts

Hey, not meaning to offend, which is why I said "different likes." I simply said why I wouldn't do that and put in the resale comment in case someone didn't consider it, which is of course unlikely but might be helpful to someone considering that mod. I did a lot of personal tweaks to a car once and at least in my case the benefits didn't offset how much I suffered when I tried to sell it.

Indeed people's preference for bikes and related mods are a personal thing and I don't knock anyone for making their bike more into what they want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts