Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DAMN! Something is going wrong embedding the youtube videos and images. Anybody got any idea how to fix this?

Im using [ youtube ] [ / youtube] and [ img ] [ / img ]

Im not sure how it works in the rest of the world, but here in the Netherlands you can get pulled over if the police thinks your bike produces to much sound. Every bike is registered with a central agency also registering the maximum amount of sound they can produce at a certain rpm. The police then is able to measure this when your bike is stationery revving the bike and registering the amount of decibels. If your bike produces to much sound they can mark your bike as “needs to be re-approved”. This means you need to have your bike re-approved meaning you need to get your bike to back to as stock as possible and also pay for the re-approval proces and not to forget the fine you get from the police.

Obviously I don’t want this to happen, but I also don’t want to ride my Hypermotard 1100 with DB killers installed. Just doesn’t give me full the experience with them installed ;).

I ride with the Termignoni slip-ons installed, custom air box and the Termignoni race ecu. Im not sure what this ecu disables exactly but at least it turns off the servomotor operating the exhaust valve. My Hym1100 is registered as producing 97dB at 3700rpm.

I did some measurements myself using my phone and my bike now produces 111dB at 3700rpm. 100% a fine by the police and re-approval proces.

To make sure all of the above does not happen to me I thought of something! Why don’t I use the exhaust valve and servomotor that are on my bike, but are just doing nothing at the moment??!

The solution I came up with is a small box that hooks up to your oem cable harness and opens and closes the exhaust valve using a remote. Allowing me to close the valve when the police puls me over, and thus limiting the amount of decibels my bike is producing. I called this project/box “valveDB”.

Let me take you through the process how I came to this solution! Took me about 4.5 months of work next to my full-time job and about my 200 hours total to come to a final product/solution :D!

First test of controlling the direction of the servomotor. Allot of researching how the motor worked, and also what the exact pinout was.

Testing with a remote controlling the direction of the valve motor. With some spare eloctronics I had lying around and never used I managed to put this together :).

At this time I was trying hard to source OEM connectors to make sure I could hook up my device to the servo motor.

First prototype board. Very rough, but I needed to start testing.

First test on my bike. Just a simple open and close motion, nothing more.

Now I have a working solution closing my exhaust valve it is time to do the first measurements concerning some decibel readings. I did this with a rudimentary decibel meter on my iPhone but the results are amazing!
1200rpm 3700rpm
Valve open (no DB killers) 103dB 111dB
Valve closed (do DB killers) 94dB 103dB
Valve open WITH DB killers 92dB 102dB

Looking at above results we can see the stock Termignoni DB killers outperform the closed valve by only 1 decibel! Also showing the valveDB prototype reduces the bike’s sound by an average of 8/9 decibels!

A video showing one of my first tests measuring the output decibels. Did some tests after this one, since this one was pretty inaccurate.

Prototype number 2, fixing some issues I had with number 1, also decreasing the size so it will fit in a plastic box I had lying around. And also including some lights indicating if the valve was open or closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Prototype number 2 in action on my bike. This is the first unit I had on my bike for about a month while I continued developed and tested new pieces of code in the device.

With this prototype number 2 I also started testing the maximum distance I could hit with the remote.
These are my results:
16m / 52ft on the right
10m / 32ft on the back
16m / 52ft on the left
13m / 42ft in front
I was hoping for maybe 3 to 4 meters. But wow, this distance is amazing. Not bad for a antenna I build myself haha :D!

At this time I had invested so much time in the evening doing really small soldering work and test that my eyes got infected and I had problems evens readying my phone after a good night sleep. Time for some change! I bought my self this thing, a light with a magnifying glass so I would not stress my eyes to much. Works like a charm :D!

Now it was time to ditch the prototype pcb’s and start reducing the size and make sure I didn’t have to solder as much. So for the first time in my life I started the design on my own pcb. Came out great for a first try I must say. Had a company in Germany build the pcb’s for me. Just ordered a quantity of 3 to do some testing.

And there we go, prototype number 3! Also put in a case with led’s poking out of the case and not waterproof at all. But this case would be the final size for the product I was building. Final dimensions are 65*38*22mm(L*W*H).

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
At this time I also started designing a new pcb. Again a tiny but smaller and also using smaller parts. Here is the result. Nobody is going to see the red pcb, but I love it haha :D

Waiting a long time to source and buy all the parts, I finally received everything and moved towards my goal. My goal was to build 5 units total (one for me) to sell for the build price to some guys I know from a Hypermotard facebook group. I also needed to make sure the units would be waterproof so I made sure to fill the boxes with epoxy.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And now we are here! 4 units completed and already on there way to their new owners!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now let me describe to you guys what this thing can do and how it works! This is the text I wrote for my facebook group. Please note it is a bit commercial, so if a mod wants me to remove or tune it, please let me know.

valveDB enables you to close and open your exhaust valve with the press of a button on a remote. Operating at a range of maximum 16 meters reducing your bike’s sound by 8 to 9 decibel! Waterproof, and easy to install. Just hook it up to your OEM wiring harness. No cutting or splicing!

It hooks up to your battery, exhaust servomotor and backlight connector. The backlight connector hook-up is required for the valveDB to detect an ignition turn on. This so it doesn’t drain your battery.

Also every valveDB has a unique code attached to it, so nobody else can operate your valveDB. For example on a meet-up.

It is 100% suited and tested on a Hypermotard. Ensuring it works on Hypermotard models 1100 and 796. Please note that if you do not have a custom mapping, servobuddy or race ECU your bike will give an error on the dashboard. Does no harm but it will show you a light.

valveDB will show a red light if your valve is open, and green if the valve is closed.

I also made a installation video for the new owners :D

To finalize this post. Yes in the long term it is my intention to commercialize this product. But for now im just building it in very small quantity’s to sell to people for the price of the components and time it takes me to build them.

I will continue to develop valveDB since this is my hobby and I love doing this. Fixing problems I encounter in the world, and finding a difficult solution solving it ;). I also found out that this thing probably works on more models than the Hypermotard. Probably also on these models: 848, 1098, 1198, Streetfighter, Monster 796/1100, Monster 821/1200 2017+, Multistrada 1200DVT/1260 and the XDiavel.

Offcourse I wanted to share this journey of 4.5 months with you guys, and also because im proud of the final product :D! Who knows what the future will bring!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Offcourse I wanted to share this journey of 4.5 months with you guys, and also because im proud of the final product :D! Who knows what the future will bring!
Good work, i thought about that also for the same reasons.

I just had another idea to trigger the valve action. I found (but i can't remember where) ghost switch... basically you press the brake lever 3-4 times in a 2-3 seconds windows and that trigger the action.

So no added switch anywhere, just monitor voltage to taillight and when rapid changes are detected, switch the valve position.

Simpler, nothing added and nothing to loose or forget (remote).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good work, i thought about that also for the same reasons.

I just had another idea to trigger the valve action. I found (but i can't remember where) ghost switch... basically you press the brake lever 3-4 times in a 2-3 seconds windows and that trigger the action.

So no added switch anywhere, just monitor voltage to taillight and when rapid changes are detected, switch the valve position.

Simpler, nothing added and nothing to loose or forget (remote).
Good idea! Ill look into that. Easy to build thats for sure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What a detailed project! I'm glad I don't have to be concerned about police pulling me over for loud pipes!

Regarding the video links, I recently ran into this problem as well; the solution if it's a YouTube video, is go to the video and copy the link in the address bar (not the 'shared' link provided by Youtube), and then paste it into the post where you want it. No

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a detailed project! I'm glad I don't have to be concerned about police pulling me over for loud pipes!

Regarding the video links, I recently ran into this problem as well; the solution if it's a YouTube video, is go to the video and copy the link in the address bar (not the 'shared' link provided by Youtube), and then paste it into the post where you want it. No

·
Registered
237 Posts
ampsource; much Respect!
That is one great project. Reminds me of my late buddy who was always making these kinds of compact electronics for various things, including getting proper pcbs & cases made. Very thorough. I'd have been happy at the 1st working prototype stage!
Really impressed. Good Luck with the commercial side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts