Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking across the web for reports on the reliability of security or alarm systems. Reason is that with an alarm the insurance of my 1198 becomes appr. Euro 370 cheaper per year (and that is already with 75% rebate thanks to no damage driving history).
So asked 4 dealers to quote the best solution/system. One declined because of unreliability, one said 650 but "no guarantees as 8 out of 10 Ducati riders get problems with the set and take it off again", 2 others did not mention quality issues but just a price. They all talk about the same brand, Datatool.

Question to you is are there issues with certain brands, what would be your prreferred choice based on your experience etc.?

PS
Think it's about time that this feature becomes standard on all Ducati's above Eu 10k (in the Netherlands), most insurance companies here require an alarm on bikes over that cost anyhow.

Thanks for your contribution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Joris, I bought a new to me 848 with a DataTool system that had been fitted by the previous owner. At the first service (after a few incidents of it beeping when it shouldn't and not when it should!) I had it removed. Some of my friends had experienced electrical issues in the past which were tracked back to the alarm so from the start I was sceptical.

No idea whether it was the system itself (my understand is that DataTool is a good brand) or the way it had been fitted but decided to remove it. When I booked it in for the service the workshop manager described them as "more hassle than they are worth" which just further reinforced my decision.

For me it was an easy decision as it didn't make much of an impact to my insurance costs so I went for the route of simplicity and therefore hopefully reliability.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that hump3.

Heard a similar experience from a friend with a 998, he took the system off when along a German autobahn because the system worked erratically ans stopped him time and again. That was over 3 years ago though so things may have changed in the meantime .... ????

Anybody else that can share some experience?

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I had a Merlin (DEI brand) on my 748 for a short time when it was a street bike. I put it on since I had it from a previous bike (and used the remote to open the garage door). My experience was that if left armed for longer periods, it tended to draw a bit from the battery and we all know how the older superbikes were a bit difficult to start. I took it off before I upgraded the wiring on the bike so I never got to test it after that.

If you know someone with one and a battery in good condition, I would check how the voltage looks before and after leaving it armed for extended amounts of time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts