Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking across the web for reports on the reliability of security or alarm systems. Reason is that with an alarm the insurance of my multi becomes appr. Euro 250 cheaper per year.
So asked 4 dealers to quote the best solution/system. One declined because of unreliability, one said 650 but "no guarantees as 8 out of 10 Ducati riders get problems with the set and take it off again", 2 others did not mention quality issues but just a price. They all talk about the same brand, Datatool.

Question to you is are there issues with certain brands, what would be your preferred choice based on your experience etc.?

Thanks for your contribution.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
Been looking across the web for reports on the reliability of security or alarm systems. Reason is that with an alarm the insurance of my multi becomes appr. Euro 250 cheaper per year.
So asked 4 dealers to quote the best solution/system. One declined because of unreliability, one said 650 but "no guarantees as 8 out of 10 Ducati riders get problems with the set and take it off again", 2 others did not mention quality issues but just a price. They all talk about the same brand, Datatool.

Question to you is are there issues with certain brands, what would be your preferred choice based on your experience etc.?

Thanks for your contribution.
I just got in a Scoprio i800 which has an RFID arm/disarm.

Although a clip on one of the connectors was broken off ... I'll use a cable tie for now. Doesn't bode well for reliability but I will let you know post install (remind me in a week).

Update on this: They have said they will ship out a replacement wiring harness ASAP. :)

I also got a FuzeBlock in and had the dealer wire in an ignition activated wire under the saddle so the CANbus is isolated so I will just be able to wire the alarm into the Fuzeblock which should make the install straightforward and likely more reliable.

The best part is that with the perimeter sensor and (extortionate) shipping cost it is still only $200 which seems a lot cheaper than what you mentioned, the Fuzeblock was another $100 all-in. Still cheaper than the Ducati alarm and this way you still have hands-free. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had datatool alarms in the past, 3 of them over the last 10 or so years. I've had a Veto Evo (worked ok, had its pcb replaced after 4 years), and a pair of System 3s.
They were all great, certainly the best & most reliable that I've had.

I also had a scorpion, a Meta, and spyball. All of these had issues, mainly to do with water getting in them, or the movement sensors going screwy. Consequently I only fitted Datatool after that.

I did have to take the last datatool off of my ST4S after 5 years, because the alarm would not always disable the immobiliser, and on other times wouldn't set it. I think in practice that 5 years is not a bad innings for a system thats had to deal with all weathers, by which time its probably done its job.

Without a doubt the most important hing is to find a good installer. How it is fitted is likely to give you far more issues than a faulty unit.

You could also consider the Ducati alarm, as the loom is already prepared for it and I believe it just plugs in.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You could also consider the Ducati alarm, as the loom is already prepared for it and I believe it just plugs in.

The DP alarm is plug and play. The unit itself is an easy install. However, the LED indicator is a PITA to install. The plug for the LED on mine is in the loom behind the headlamp. :crazy: Once accessed, a hole is to be drilled near the right stowage compartment for LED installation. DP alarm sensitivity is adjustable but it's trial and alarm. A harley with fart-pipes can set mine off during a drive-by at 100+feet.:eek:

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
Without a doubt the most important hing is to find a good installer. How it is fitted is likely to give you far more issues than a faulty unit.

Hope that helps.
The (other) issue with the Ducati one is that you effectively lose the bike's hands free, you have to use the alarm fob to arm/disarm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.