Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, feel stupid asking this, but....

It was suggested to me that I needed to swap out the 2 relays on my 916....I got the new ones from my shop....they both were the same, part #000067464 "Relais Fusibilato"....when I went to swap them out the two old ones looked different and didn't match eachother....but they were old, and I figured they were just missed matched.

So I swapped them out....now the bike will not start...fuel pump doesn't even spool up....lights are all fine.

When I tried to put the old ones back on, I didn't remember which one was witch....but now it's not starting with the old ones either. I did not try to start it prior, but rode it a week or so ago with no issues....and it's been on a trickle charger.

Any ideas?! Is this the right part....are they supposed to be the same? There are plastic caps over the fuses...I assume those stay on there?!

Hope it's a simple thing....in Chicago and the year is going away!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Was the bike working properly prior to the switch? If the new ones looked different they are likely different since your bike wouldn't start after you installed them. What relays are you talking about anyway? Can you post pictures of the install area and the old and new relays? Not that I'm skilled in this area and no, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I went round and round on my 95 916 with electrical issues, there might be a similar issue.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can post picks later....it the two big one under the seat....ones that kind of float there....two big, 4 prong suckers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
....are they supposed to be the same? There are plastic caps over the fuses...I assume those stay on there?! QUOTE]

Yes, both relays are the same.
The original ones are "squarish", and don't have " plastic caps over the fuses". They are secured with a rubber cradle.
If they don't work, then you won't have a fuel pump.

Be careful, in that that there are several variations of relay wirings, some have the relay contacts on different pins. Put the wrong one in & so no go.
Have a look at the wiring (sometimes there is a diagram of the coil & contacts on the relay case).

Cheers,

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks.....so these are new ones....and if I recale they could only plug in one based on the pin direction.......ya, lights work, but no fuel pump or starter!

So do you think it's "operator error" or a bad new relay....or could I have done any dameage trying to swap these out?

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
The relay that affects the fuel pump is right there on top of the valve cover. If you don't have it connected securely you will not get the sound of the fuel pump priming. I would inspect the relay holes and pins for compatibility or damage. I don't know about the possibility of relay failure, but after buying a defective regulator to replace a defective regulator, you never know.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check that...but scratching my head because it prior to putting the new ones in....then no fuel pump or starting....then when I tried to [ut the old ones back, now nothing.....could the new ones have blown something else out somewhere?!

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
maybe time to check currents with a voltmeter?

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
thanks.....so these are new ones....and if I recale they could only plug in one based on the pin direction.......ya, lights work, but no fuel pump or starter!

So do you think it's "operator error" or a bad new relay....or could I have done any dameage trying to swap these out?
You mention no fuel pump or starter. If the starter is not engaging at all, check your kill switch and (don't know if your year had it) sidestand relay. Maybe you accidentally hit the kill switch (no crank or fuel pump) or if your sidestand relay (again, don't know if your year had it) was flaky, it would offer the same symptoms. If you do have a sidestand relay, it would be in a rubber mount right behind (farther back on the bike, not further inboard) the battery.
It's a small relay, maybe 3/4"x3/4"x1/2". For my year 748, there are 2 of them there, one for the fan, one for the sidestand switch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe this has been disengaged on my bike....since I can start it with the stand down in the past.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
solved.....the relays where blowing my Volt Reg fuse....wrong relays....mine was a very early '95 and has a different relay! ....thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts