Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have lots of relays, but I find myself needing to replace the base the relay plugs into. The ignition relay is overheating and frying my relays and it got so hot the base is partially melted. Anyone know where to get one of these? I looked at the parts catalog (see attached pic) and it only shows a part number for the relay, not the base.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
You're not going to able to buy just the relay socket from Ducati. They will happily sell you a harness, however. I think I'd start by searching for electrical supply houses. I don't have links, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a supplier that would have connector kits. There are no special items here, all standard relays and connectors. The other option is to source a used harness. I believe member nine16 is still parting an ST4s. Maybe contact him.

Reactions: cb4265

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
What is the reason for the ignition relay overheating?

Craig

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the reason for the ignition relay overheating?

Craig
I'm guessing high resistance connection in the wiring. I've felt that relay before and it was so hot it almost burned my fingers. The last failed relay I took out of there was partially melted.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can see below where the plastic is melting around the center pin. Similar thing happening on the base.

Relay by Matt, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
If it's that bad, I think I'd cut the connector off and crimp some appropriately sized spade connectors on the wires. Just connect to the relay like that as a temporary fix and to see if there is another cause of the heat.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's that bad, I think I'd cut the connector off and crimp some appropriately sized spade connectors on the wires. Just connect to the relay like that as a temporary fix and to see if there is another cause of the heat.
Interesting - I never thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I remember some years ago while travelling with another 02 ST4S he had similar problems, not sure how he cured it, but he got it going with cable ties and tape somehow.

I would probably try to replace the suspect connectors with some better quality water proof ones.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
On the other hand, if it's just that one terminal I think I'd crack open the schematic and trace that wire looking for a ground first. Since it's getting hot at the terminal, it's a good chance the connection is poor. Still not a bad idea to cover the bases first. In any case, you'd know pretty quick if it still gets that hot after crimping spade connectors on!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'm going to try the spade connectors first.

I'm also having to fix the wiring for my sending unit in the fuel tank. It's still unnerving to me that there's bare electrical wires in there....

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
You can see below where the plastic is melting around the center pin. Similar thing happening on the base.

Relay by Matt, on Flickr
If your relay is the same, that pin is number 87 (output contacts normally open)
If the contacts are normally open, I wonder how there can be resistance?

Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
If your relay is the same, that pin is number 87 (output contacts normally open)
If the contacts are normally open, I wonder how there can be resistance?

Craig

Relays contacts are listed with the relay in the de energized state, as I remember it. So with the coil energized, the normally open contacts would be closed.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Relays contacts are listed with the relay in the de energized state, as I remember it. So with the coil energized, the normally open contacts would be closed.
Poor quality relay?

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Could be, but we all use those same relays and he said he's been through a few of them. I have not had one of those relays fail for heat. I replaced the older (yellow) ignition relay in the 916 for other reasons, but it was still functional and remains under my seat as a spare. I think he's on the right track with the connector for now. He'll know if he crimps on the spade connectors.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try something along this line of thought. (see photo)
This style relay is available at EVERY parts store in the world!
I had similar problems with the fuel/ignition relay and the fan relay and found the male/female connection so loose it was causing overheating at the connection and a huge voltage drop resulting among other things hard starting and stalling.
I removed the pins from the OEM base and re-crimped them to make sure they were tight before I finished my modification.
Ride On
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try something along this line of thought. (see photo)
This style relay is available at EVERY parts store in the world!
I had similar problems with the fuel/ignition relay and the fan relay and found the male/female connection so loose it was causing overheating at the connection and a huge voltage drop resulting among other things hard starting and stalling.
I removed the pins from the OEM base and re-crimped them to make sure they were tight before I finished my modification.
Ride On
Dave
Nice! Do you have a part number for that relay? I'm assuming it's electrically identical?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all

I have lots of relays, but I find myself needing to replace the base the relay plugs into. The ignition relay is overheating and frying my relays and it got so hot the base is partially melted. Anyone know where to get one of these? I looked at the parts catalog (see attached pic) and it only shows a part number for the relay, not the base.

Thanks!
Is this what you want?

334 485 046, TYCO/BOSCH RELAYS & ACCESSORIES, RELAYS, RELAYS & FLASHERS - Terminal Supply Company - Product Detail

Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice! Do you have a part number for that relay? I'm assuming it's electrically identical?
p/n for Bosch relay: 0 332 019 456
rated 12v 30amp
4 pins

Tyco p/n v23134-k59x312 aka BMW p/n 61 36 8 373 700
rated 30amp
5 pin (two # 87 pins)

Be careful when using 5 pin relays. The two terminal 87's are powered with relay closed but if the relay has a #87 and # 87A be careful because the A terminal will be hot with the relay in the open position.
Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to try the spade connectors first.

I'm also having to fix the wiring for my sending unit in the fuel tank. It's still unnerving to me that there's bare electrical wires in there....
I saw that and wondered if I wasn't going to have to change my user name to Fireball or Fireballs some day. >:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts