Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to the Forum and Ducati.

I recently acquired a 1992 900SS and the battery warning light comes up at iddle. However, once I rev the engine above ~1800 RPM, the light goes out.

I checked the voltage output at the battery on the bike with a digital Voltmeter and these are the readings:

Engine at iddle: 11.70V
Engine at 3K RPM: 12.3V

So it looks like it's time for a new Regulator-Rectifier. I did some searching and these 2 came up:

Ricks Motorsports Electrics
Rick's Motorsport Electrics

ElectroSports Industries
DUCATI 900SS, 93 - Buy the BEST Stator Regulator/Rectifier CDI - ElectroSport

Any others worth considering?

I want:
-Reliability and good output.
-Ease of installation. One which just snaps on and not having to fiddle with the wires or changing the plugs, etc.
-A 2-phase unit.

Please advice!
Thanks!

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The Electrosport RR is a reliable unit.

Before you replace the RR check for heat-damaged stator wire insulation and corroded connectors. Replace the wiring all the way back to the casing penetration, even if heat damage can only be seen near the connectors.

(You could also have a bad battery.)

·
Registered
429 Posts
A better solution is to use a a later style MOSFET regulator, such as this one commonly used on newer Yamaha R1s. The connector is available from Eastern Beaver. There's a post about this mod in the 'sticky' section on SS upgrades. The advantage of this design is that they are more reliable and hold the voltage better across varying engine speeds. I've done this mod to my bike and can say it does work work much better than the stock SCR design.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
connections

yes,
before you spend $ on a reg/rect unit, find yours (near the oil cooler) and clean the connections. remove the mounting screws, remove the unit and you'll see the wiring plugs. just disconnect 'em and make sure they're clean.

have your battery load tested (any bike/car shop can do this).

clean the battery leads at both ends.

don't make this more expensive than it needs to be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your advice! I am new to Ducati and my bike and so I am still figuring things out.

I found the RR unit on my bike. It's right under the steering head tube and lower triple clamp area. I called a Ducati shop and they told me to also check a "fuse" inside a long thin box 2" by 0.25" located on the right side of the speedo/tach gauges. Supposely if it's blown, it will affect the charging system and the battery warning light will come on. Anyone know and can confirm this?

I will take off the RR and check the conditions of its connections, etc., but the initial visual inspection, it looks old and tired. And to be in the safe side, I will most likely replace it. Push starting the bike in 2nd gear is not fun. First I must find and push up a hill in San Fran LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts