Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 ST2. The connector piece, the male and female plastic connector pin has been affected by heat and is corroding inside. Is it okay to simply have the wires soldered together and simply not use the connector piece anymore?

Aside from a failure point I don't see why Ducati used the connector at all.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Connector is there in case you need to remove the engine from the frame. My 1998 ST2 fried that connector, and I opted to bypass it with solder and heat shrink. Never had any other charging issues with my 1998 !

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I will do...... Solder them together. BAD design to have a plastic connector.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
This is what I will do...... Solder them together. BAD design to have a plastic connector.
Plastic's 'bout the only thing you can use. Metal casings on a high-voltage connection? :eek: Bakelite / ceramic is out of the question, too fragile.

What they should have done was to design a better connector that could tolerate more amperage without smoking or corroding.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
5 will get you 10 that it is a Tyco connector. There must be loads of (12v 30A?) connectors kicking around for pennies

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If the connector is "toast", look closely at the wires. The insulation maybe stiff or cracked on both sides of the connector. When you cut throught the wires, make sure you're cutting through un-tarnished copper.

If you put new connectors in, they should be rated for 50 amps.

Volts x Amps = watts ... Watts/Volts = Amps (520/12 = 43.3 amps)

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Actually, it's 420/14 = 30A on the single phase bikes, and 520/14*2/3 = 25A on the three phase bikes.

I use gold-plated 40A connectors on my ST2.

Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tom - where did you get the connectors, who manufacturers them?
I'm looking to replace the connector on my ST3 and haven't come across a good hi amp, weather resistant connector.

·
Registered
209 Posts
doesn't each leg [yellow wire] carry a load so as not to gang up on the diode? maybe there's 2 diodes in the v rr.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The 2 wire RR has 4 diodes inside. The 3-wire RR has 6 diodes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts