Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i got a decent Deal for Trading my regular 821 for a 939 SP.
Has anyone ridden both? Do you actually feel the plus on torque or is it compensated by the extra weight and the longer gearing?
And do you think they will bring legal Aftermarket exhausts (euro4)?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi, i got a decent Deal for Trading my regular 821 for a 939 SP.
Has anyone ridden both? Do you actually feel the plus on torque or is it compensated by the extra weight and the longer gearing?
And do you think they will bring legal Aftermarket exhausts (euro4)?
I have done this trade.

YES I do feel the difference in torque, the 939SP don't have that small hole around 5k rpm that the 821 has. I am under 1000 km and manual says no more than 6k rpm and in this range I was doing mountain roads was great as i was switching gears one after the other and the 939SP accelerates quickly enough that you don't feel much that weight difference.
6th gear feels kind of long but only usable in highways to be honest.

Yes they shall bring homologated pipes but the question is when... the OEM weights a ton. So will have to play the patience game because I can't ride with a racing exhaust like other countries allow their riders to do. My friend has a Monster 1200 R and he also has the same issue plus his sounds (or not sounds) quite muted, he even told me my exhaust note is far better.

Asked QD they have their hands full with another new Ducati model they will approach it later on, Termignoni implied that they haven't got yet the request from Ducati to start developing one, SC Project no reply yet. Akrapovic also no reply yet if they are considering to homologate it.

The Akra case is the more bureaucratic in my opinion because they already have a slip on for the 939 and they have the link pipe with Cat I think all what they would need to do is to do the tests to apply for the homologation. I hope they do something or someone does something soon!

AH and ONE LAST COMMENT:
The Ohlins suspended 939SP is FAR FAR precise and rewarding than the 821. In places where the 821 would sink a bit too much under braking the new one holds until a decent dive, in curves where there are bumps the new one holds its line and would not jump or move sideways, the new one gives you more feedback and you don't need to put your weight too much to make the front work. PLUS IT IS ADJUSTABLE! So if the initial setting is too firm just a small allen and within the range of the preload you can make it comfortable and it don't loose its precision or feel (did this 3 clicks down).

Both thins brake feel and suspension are the two things I needed from the 821 and the 939SP gave them to me and more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have done this trade.
Thank you for this post. And I just bought my hyper in june of last year. =)

It sounds very tempting. That extra torque is a great addition.
I'm hoping to get my suspension tuned (base hyper 2015) and that be the end of it. I really love the bike...I'm going to ask the shop if they can drop in the 2016 suspension. I suppose that may modify the feel of the bike if it raises it (sp has different rake if what is read is true).

How's the fuel consumption?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thank you for this post. And I just bought my hyper in june of last year. =)

It sounds very tempting. That extra torque is a great addition.
I'm hoping to get my suspension tuned (base hyper 2015) and that be the end of it. I really love the bike...I'm going to ask the shop if they can drop in the 2016 suspension. I suppose that may modify the feel of the bike if it raises it (sp has different rake if what is read is true).

How's the fuel consumption?
So far similar to the 821, but this one is still under the first service mark so will wait maybe it gets slightly better consumption.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It would be interesting to hear the suspension difference in feel between the 821 SP and the 939 SP since the front forks are different. It may be better for some to buy a used 821 SP instead and save $5k instead of buying the 939 SP. I never was able to try the 939 SP, only the base model 939 so I can't compare it to my 821 SP that I bought. 821 SP's suspension is why I went with the SP instead of the strada or base model 821 and I was able to get the 2014 SP for $10k with 1500 miles on it, which was a decent price as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It would be interesting to hear the suspension difference in feel between the 821 SP and the 939 SP since the front forks are different. It may be better for some to buy a used 821 SP instead and save $5k instead of buying the 939 SP. I never was able to try the 939 SP, only the base model 939 so I can't compare it to my 821 SP that I bought. 821 SP's suspension is why I went with the SP instead of the strada or base model 821 and I was able to get the 2014 SP for $10k with 1500 miles on it, which was a decent price as far as I can tell.
Never rode the 821SP but better adjustable than nothing. There must be a slight difference against the ohlins fork but I don't think it is a big difference as I don't think the Marzocchi was very bad having many members here very happy with their 821 SP.
I am sure sooner than later someone will have a go or will change 821sp for 939sp it is a matter of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts