Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my local dealer offered me a brand new (leftover) 1098S in exchange for my 999 (2007) and S2R (2005), and for a moment I started to wonder considering this deal.

In favour
-Only one bike maintenance and costs
-999 is getting high km on the od (Any record on this?) and problems may come soon!

Against
-I prefer the 999 style (only XX9 when I go out for a ride with lots of 1098)
-Loose two type of bikes to ride (999/Monster)

I think that the dealer can sell faster the 999 and S2R rather than the 1098S!
To be honest the main factor is maintenance costs, but I guess I have more to loose than to gain. Let me know your opinion on this, specially if you regreted going from 999 to 1098.:think:
Thanks.

·
9,757 Posts
The 1098 is a bike that is extremely rewarding to ride fast. It just gets better and better the harder you push.

the flipside to that is that it is not a real gem at slow speeds (ie not as communicative), and the same stiff chassis that enables you to get laser like feedback and boatloads of confidence at high speeds also demands an excellent setup. A lot of the complaints I've read about the 1098 have been the result of poor/hasty setup.

All in all I can't recommend the 1098s over your 999 without knowing what type of riding you do, but if you enjoy the technical aspects of riding and really enjoy pushing yourself and the bike then you're missing out on a very special feeling by not having a 1098s.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Go with what your heart tells you. Letting go of a Ducati can be a difficult decision to make. But the 1098s is a nice bike that can't be overlooked

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go with what your heart tells you. Letting go of a Ducati can be a difficult decision to make. But the 1098s is a nice bike that can't be overlooked
I know what you mean because I never had to sell a ducati since 2005 when I bought the monster and kept it after receiving the 999, but unfortunately I can´t have a third:(.
It´s a passion against reason again!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The 1098 is a great bike if you like that retro 916-type of look. :abduct:

Me, I prefer the more modern styling of the XX9 series.:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had a Parts Unlimited 999S and traded it off for a 1098R. I found the 1098R a much faster ride. However, the 999 has a far superior build quality, it is far more comfortable, and I preferred it for all but the most extreme riding. I then traded off the 1098R for a D16RR and have not regretted that decision.

When the chance to pick up a Xerox 999R came up as an additional bike, I grabbed with both hands.

Unless you are going to ride flat out a whole lot, keep your 999. Dave

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Having two bikes is like a sense of relief, especially two that serve two purposes. I went through some bikes before finally arriving at a combination that fit me. I have never ridden a 1098, but I've never had a desire to do so either. What I have found lately and why I think the 999 is a better bike ergo wise is its adjustability. Just recently I had some comfort issues brought on by me when I picked up a set of DP adjustable rear sets. The pegs were positioned substancially higher than stock and this put me into a more cramped position. However, I discovered the DP sets were very adjustable in other ways and coupled with the fact the 999 has an adjustable seat and rear set mounts, this solved the problem. The 1098 for some reason does not have these features and its amazing to me why not.

What really convinced me the 999 was the one was when I went from the 999S to the 999R. The R bike is the best bike I have ever ridden. To compliment that bike I picked up a Multistrada, this is considered my miles and touring bike at the same time with it having the full Ohlins suspension the bike is amazing on the bumpy and twisty roads.

Try to upgrade eventually to the 999R and keep two bikes. Lastly, the more I look at the 999R the more I recognize it was way ahead of its time and it will remain so for many years to come. I used to say that about my 916. The 1098 does not have this recognition, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
230 Posts
after winning his last championship on the 1098 chassis and ergo... Bayliss is quoted as saying the 999 was the best bike he has ever riden.

just saying. :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I personally don't like the more laid out riding position of the xx9 bikes. For big guys its probably decent, but for us "normal" sized and proper weighed guys, the 848/1098 has a superior riding position. Even though the 848/1098 is what I'd call a "crotch cruncher", something the xx9 bikes don't have issues with, the 848/1098 is a far superior machine in a lot of ways. I still love my 749R, but I always have to remind myself, its nothing like an OEM factory bike and I can turn almost the same laptimes on my stock 848... :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would keep the 2 that you have now and wait for a good used 1098. Specially if they are paid for.

I have stopped buying new bikes, since I can't justify the cost. I currently have 3 in the stable: Duc/Ttiumph/MV

Sell the bikes only if you want to get rid of them. I made the error of selling my S2000 and I've regretted it ever since.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Tye on this one. It all depends on what sort of riding you'll be doing and your preferences as to seating position.

Personally, I prefer the 1098 to the 999 (for track use).

·
Registered
19 Posts
With owning Ducatis for over 10 years now, having two is a good idea since if you ride hard one will be in the shop for something quite often and you will always have a spare to ride. Right now I have a 749 and a 900 monster and now facing the delemia of getting rid of the monster (wife).

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
With owning Ducatis for over 10 years now, having two is a good idea since if you ride hard one will be in the shop for something quite often and you will always have a spare to ride. Right now I have a 749 and a 900 monster and now facing the delemia of getting rid of the monster (wife).
Sooner get rid of the wife

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is no one bike that does everything well, so I'd rather have two than one, any day.
It´s a very important point of view since I use both in different type of roads and state of mind and fromyour opinions the 1098 is a more aggressive track bike.
I guess in the end it comes: why choose one when I can have pleasure with two:).

·
Registered
157 Posts

Well, I was one of those who made the switch from an 749R to a 1098S. Loved it until I took it out for a commute/slow ride. Then I hated it. But on the back roads and at the track it couldn't be beat. But in the end, I sold it at the end of the season and bought a 749S. Much better for doing everything and anything, than just one thing.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
How much are they giving for the S2R? Have you asked what they want if you only trade the 999?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much are they giving for the S2R? Have you asked what they want if you only trade the 999?
The question is that the monster is what he wants since they had a client with a very good offer, they loved my red monster with white wheels!
Anyway I´m considering keeping the two since I love both, and in the future get a 1098 or 1198. In this case used, wich I never did buy a used bike, but I guess there´s always a good deal around the corner!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The question is that the monster is what he wants since they had a client with a very good offer, they loved my red monster with white wheels!
Anyway I´m considering keeping the two since I love both, and in the future get a 1098 or 1198. In this case used, wich I never did buy a used bike, but I guess there´s always a good deal around the corner!
I see. If you do end up with a 1098 or 1198, look for an S model. The ohlins and other small changes are worth the price difference in my mind, especially at used value.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts